any way to manage recent documents list in File menu

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

leopoldus

any way to manage recent documents list in File menu

Post by leopoldus » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:42 am

Hi,

Is there any way to manage recent documents list in the [File] section of the main menu?

The first need is to manually remove from the list those obsolete files, which do not exist anymore or which are not actual.
Another task is to view the the location (full path) of the specific file in the recent file list.

Thanks!

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: any way to manage recent documents list in File menu

Post by martin-k » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:01 am

You can't remove items from the fie history. But if you hover over an entry, the status bar at the bottom of the program window shows the full path.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:56 pm

martin-k wrote:You can't remove items from the file history.
I'm surprised to find that deleted files are not automatically removed when the user tries to choose them from the list.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

leopoldus

Post by leopoldus » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:08 pm

martin-k wrote:You can't remove items from the fie history.
It's very inconvenient :(
And I agree with Alfred, that TextMaker should at least prompt to delete from the recent list files the obsolete item when it is selected by a user. Currently it only gives an error message, but does not offer to delete the file from the list.

Could you at least tell in what exact location the recent files list is stored in the system registry or in the settings file?

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:44 pm

leopoldus wrote:It's very inconvenient :(
And I agree with Alfred, that TextMaker should at least prompt to delete from the recent list files the obsolete item when it is selected by a user. Currently it only gives an error message, but does not offer to delete the file from the list.
If I select a moved or deleted document from the 'Recent documents' list in WordPad, I get an error message and the file is removed from the list without a prompt for confirmation. This is the behaviour that I expect, and usually see, in other applications.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

leopoldus

Post by leopoldus » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:01 pm

Alfred wrote:If I select a moved or deleted document from the 'Recent documents' list in WordPad, I get an error message and the file is removed from the list without a prompt for confirmation. This is the behaviour that I expect, and usually see, in other applications.
Hm... Microsoft WordPad is surely not a standard of the usability. Smarter apps with more user-friendly interface usually ask for confirmation before deleting something. A user will not be happy, if the app remove from the recent files list an often used document, which is currently unavailable (e.g. is located on a network or cloud virtual drive).

However TextMaker does not neither the first nor the second.

leopoldus

Post by leopoldus » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:08 am

It seems, that there is no hope to get an option to manually manage the recent documents management as in the most modern applications, including MS Office apps.

Could anybody at least tell where the recent files list is stored (the exact key in the system registry or the location of the appropriate settings file)?

Thanks!

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:41 am

The next major version will offer what you are looking for, plus some bonuses.

The file list is in \My Documents\SoftMaker\Settings\tmw16config.ini.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

leopoldus

Post by leopoldus » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:21 am

martin-k wrote:The file list is in \My Documents\SoftMaker\Settings\tmw16config.ini.
Thank you! So I can remove obsolete entries from the recent files list by editing the configuration file ..\Settings\tmw16config.ini manually in any text editor. I have just tested and it works!

However the bad side, that changes in the recent files list will be applied only after the next restart of TextMaker.
But if you hover over an entry, the status bar at the bottom of the program window shows the full path.
It is fine... for some cases. But it does not work, when the parent folder name of the file is long and/or a monitor or TextMaker window is not wide enough. For example at my notebook 1600 pixels wide display and TextMaker in full screen mode I can see only the first 80-85 symbols of the file full name (path+name) plus this totally senseless prefix "Load document", so I can see only several first words of the file name.

Your programmers should at least spread the file name to the full length of the status bar, not limit it by the only first section of the status bar. A user doesn't need any other information while you navigate in the recent files list, does he?
Besides it would be nice to get some other way, e.g. resizable main menu column or drop-down menu or a RMB click on an entry in the list to open a properties dialog etc.
Do you mean SoftMaker 2020, which will be released some years later?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:36 pm

leopoldus wrote:
Do you mean SoftMaker 2020, which will be released some years later?
Yes, the next major version, not a service pack. But this won't take until 2020, far from it.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

leopoldus

Post by leopoldus » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:01 pm

sven-l wrote:Yes, the next major version, not a service pack. But this won't take until 2020, far from it.
Thank you I see. Could you give any estimation in months/years of time till the next major version?

Also I hope, you will forward my remarks in my previous post viewtopic.php?p=53939&sid=109e2764cb93e ... ce7#p53939 to your programmers, may be they regard them in the next version.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:29 am

leopoldus wrote:
sven-l wrote:Yes, the next major version, not a service pack. But this won't take until 2020, far from it.
Thank you I see. Could you give any estimation in months/years of time till the next major version?
We don't announce versions before they are due. But have a look at the release cycle up to the 2012 release and add up the numbers...
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”