docX (MS Word native), RTF etc documents are often destroyed while being saved from TextMaker

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

leopoldus

docX (MS Word native), RTF etc documents are often destroyed while being saved from TextMaker

Post by leopoldus » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:23 am

I have revealed an extremely unpleasant bug in TextMaker 2016, which has caused the loss of my several important files.

The routine in very simple:
1. Open a native .docX (MS Word 2007 format) or RTF document in TextMaker 2016 (the same may apply to other formats too, but I do not usually use them).
2. Make any changes in the document.
3. Press the hotkey [Ctrl+W] to get a prompt for saving the document and answer [Yes] in the prompt dialog for saving changes. Or simply press the hotkey [Ctrl+S] in order to save changes. (I suppose the same problem with the appropriate toolbar buttons, but I am not quite sure, because I usually prefer to use hotkeys.)

The file with the previous document version is deleted from the disk, what is expected. But a new version of the file is not created at the disk (at least not in the same location). You are lucky, if you used Ctrl+S and have not yet closed the changed document. It is still opened in TextMaker window, so you have an option to make another attempt pressing the hotkey [Ctrl+S] again - and it is quite probable, that at the second try the changed document will be saved to the disk. But if you have used [Ctrl+W] => [Yes], sorry... The document is closed and you have lost not only these changes you have made during the last editing session, but also the original source MS Word document is gone!!!

I wish to emphasize, that it is not an accidental glitch, but I have encountered this situation many times for these weeks I am using TextMaker 2016.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: docX (MS Word native), RTF etc documents are often destroyed while being saved from TextMaker

Post by sven-l » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:42 am

I tried several times but could not reproduce that issue. Does it occur with files originally created in MS Word 2007 or with all files? Are you working with Windows 10? Have you installed the latest revision 757 (Help=>About)?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

leopoldus

Re: docX (MS Word native), RTF etc documents are often destroyed while being saved from TextMaker

Post by leopoldus » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:02 pm

sven-l wrote:I tried several times but could not reproduce that issue
I have not said, that this issue occurs every time. May be one time per 10 saving operations or something like that. So you should make quite many attempts in order to get the (un-)wanted result.
Does it occur with files originally created in MS Word 2007

To say more exactly, I met this issue only with .docX documents created in MS Word 2007/2010/2013 and sometimes with RTF documents. I suppose, that the same problem may exist with other documents formats too, but I practically do not use them.
Are you working with Windows 10?
No, I use Windows 7.
Have you installed the latest revision 757 (Help=>About)?
Yes.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:39 pm

To avoid losing your original document, you should, as long as this issue is not yet solved, adjust your document backup options accordingly (Tools > Options..., tab "Files"): choose a short Auto recovery interval and have a look at the „Advanced backup" options (saving more than one backup per file is recommended).

leopoldus

Post by leopoldus » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:08 pm

Well, I think, that I have discovered at least one pattern when this dangerous bug appears. It is quite simple. It would be nice, if somebody tries to reproduce it.

1) Take a very regular document in the native older .DOC format (MS Word 2003), better with long filename, including several spaces and dots e.g. "this is my document about something I do not know myself and much more.111.go.doc".

2) Go the parent folder of this file in Windows Explorer or some other file manager and rename the extension of the file manually to some random symbols set, which is not known for TextMaker, as e.g. "this is my document about something I do not know myself and much more.111.go.doc.AAA".

3) Open the document in TextMaker and make some changes.

4) Save the document with the hotkey [Ctrl+S].

5) Go the file location in Windows Explorer or any other file manager. You will see, that the file is gone completely!

However you have yet an option to go back to TextMaker window and press Ctrl+S once again. In this event the file will re-appear in the folder on the second try (will be saved from the RAM memory??).
But if you have used [Ctrl+W => OK] in order to close the document with saving (a widespread habit for many users including me) and if you have no the very recent backup of this document, you are in a big trouble.
Last edited by leopoldus on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:01 pm

Sorry, I've followed your instructions to the letter, but to no avail. After saving with Ctrl+S, the document is still there (in the altered form, as it should be). After making changes and pressing Ctrl+W, I get the query if I want to save, close without saving, or cancel - also as it should be. In neither way can I produce the result of a lost or vanished document. It may be that something with your file system or Windows user rights is out of order, but I'm not Windows-savvy enough to follow that up. As you specifically mention a long file name: Is your document saved to a location with a very long pathname (i. e. inside lots of subfolders with long names, too?) This sometimes gives trouble in Windows.
Last edited by Jossi on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:45 pm

Jossi wrote:As you specifically mention a long file name: Is your document saved to a location with a very long pathname (i. e. inside lots of subfolders with long names, too?) This sometimes gives trouble in Windows.
In particular, folder paths including spaces and/or diacritics can prove troublesome.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

leopoldus

Post by leopoldus » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Jossi wrote:It may be that something with your file system or Windows user rights is out of order
No, I have all administrator rights at my system. Besides I have no similar issues with any of many other application installed on this machine.
As you specifically mention a long file name: Is your document saved to a location with a very long pathname (i. e. inside lots of subfolders with long names, too?) This sometimes gives trouble in Windows.
No, my filenames are not so long to exceed the general limit for filename in Windows (path + name < 259 symbols). My files are usually 100 - 150 symbols in total.
Alfred wrote:In particular, folder paths including spaces and/or diacritics can prove troublesome.
Non of tens applications installed on this machine has any trouble with folders with spaces or diacritics. Besides the problem appears often while saving the original file with Ctrl+S to the folders with very simple names which do not include any spaces or diacritics.

leopoldus

Post by leopoldus » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:01 pm

I have to correct the essential inaccuracy in my previous message viewtopic.php?t=16002&f=249#p54037. Actually this issue is not connected to the document file extension. Even if the file has a regular extension e.g. .DOC (MS Word) it can be removed while the first attempt to save it, as it is described in my first message.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:37 am

I will report this bug to the developers. Please try again with the next service pack as soon as it is available. Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Ptyx

Post by Ptyx » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:07 pm

I just suffered the same issue and lost four days of work.
I so deeply regret having trusted this damn software.
I suspect that if i pay the 29 euros for the upgraded/pro version this does not happen.
But given the resullt and the damage caused, purchasing Word would have been considerably less costly.
Other users, CAVEAT

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:15 pm

Nobody here can reproduce the bug reported here, and apart from the two participants in this thread, nobody has reported this. Please provide additional description.

But to get back your document, you can still go \My Documents\SoftMaker\Backup and find previous saves.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

leopoldus

Post by leopoldus » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:18 am

martin-k wrote:Nobody here can reproduce the bug reported here, and apart from the two participants in this thread, nobody has reported this.
I have this issue on two different computers with Windows 7 x64.

One more remark: I have never get this problem when using TextMaker native documents format .TMD, but only when using MS Word formats .Doc, DocX and .RTF. May be other users of TextMaker do not use these formats as much to get the problem?

lynnec

Post by lynnec » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:35 am

That sounds very much like what is happening to me. I just posted under "Textmaker losing thousands of words." It's happened twice this year. I have the paid for software, and apart from this serious problem, I'm happy with it.
I work in Microsoft Word format. I have my files saved every 5 minutes. All the previous saves are of that document, but since I back up frequently, it probably did it before I noticed.
I'm on Windows 10. All my software is up to date, protected, the files are not buried deep.

lynnec

Post by lynnec » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:51 pm

I'm just wondering if this big has been fixed with Softmaker 2018?

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”