How to print as booklet ?

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

marcella

How to print as booklet ?

Post by marcella » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:32 pm

Is it possible to make and print a booklet in TextMaker - and if so - how ? I cant see any way to do this but I just want the pages A4 folding in half - ie A5 size and just maybe 24 or 28 pages , Is it possible to do this ? Thank you for your help . marcella .

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: How to print as booklet ?

Post by sven-l » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:07 am

Yes, it is possible. For the margins:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2115&p=8277&hilit=booklet#p8277

If you want to fold the A4 sheets, you could set some fold marks. Invoke Object=>New text frame. Place the text frame where the fold mark should be and write a minus (-) in it. You can easily drag the text frame with the mouse to another position if you want.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: How to print as booklet ?

Post by Jossi » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:07 pm

I'm afraid this is not quite what marcella asked for. Of course you can set the paper format to landscape, use a two column layout (or text frames left and right) and set different inner and outer margins. This gives you a "booklet view" on the monitor but will not allow you to print the document pages in a sequence which makes a real booklet (i. e. a stack of printed sheets you only have to fold once in the middle to get the pages ordered from 1 to 28). TextMaker has no built-in booklet printing function. You may:
1. check your printer driver options. Some printer drivers (e. g. Brother and HP) have a booklet printing option.
2. Use a special program like FinePrint (has lots of options, but is not free).
3. Save your document as PDF, open it in Adobe Reader and print it from there (Adobe Reader is free and has a booklet printing option with an excellent preview).
In any case, don't use a two column landscape layout in TextMaker as this makes for a fixed pairing of pages and doesn't allow the printing function to re-order the pages as needed. For example, if you have an 8 page booklet with two A5 pages on each side of an A4 sheet, TextMaker will produce 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8; but a printed booklet needs 8-1, 2-7, 6-3 and 4-5. So use either a single A5 page format or the usual A4 portrait page and combine the booklet function with the "2 in 1" function in Adobe Reader.
Booklet printing is always a bit tricky, maybe you'll need some trial and error, but it can be done!

Update: I've done some more research in the meantime. Do not use the output format (A 5), stay with A 4 instead. Choosing a page format which is different from the paper size creates printing problems, as most booklet printer drivers are set to reducing the page size while putting two pages on one sheet of paper. There is no need to choose a 2 in 1 function in addition; Adobe Reader does this automatically when printing a booklet. Remember your page layout will be reduced to half in print output, so use bigger font sizes, line spacings and page margins.

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”