Language settings, intermittent language selections & hypenation

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

ecbritz

Language settings, intermittent language selections & hypenation

Post by ecbritz » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:50 am

Default language settings for a certain language -- such as Automatic Hyphenation OFF -- usually form part of a default template. Actually, every non-default template also includes a fixed language selection with certain language settings done (I think).

While writing a document using your default template, one may enter excerpts in other languages. You can select an excerpt and apply the appropriate dictionary using the relevant Formatting Toolbar button. Or you may start a new document using your default template but change the language at the outset with the Formatting Toolbar language button. In both cases, spell checking will be done employing the right dictionary -- throughout the document.

A problem seems to arise when Automatic Hyphenation is set to ON in the default template or in the non-default template selected for the document. The hyphenation rules fitting the language selected for the template will be applied to all sections of the document, regardless of intermittent selections made using the language button on the Formatting Toolbar. The sections not written in the default language of the template will be botched.

What I have been doing, especially when using different languages in one document, is simply to keep Automatic Hyphenation OFF, in my default template. If I want to hyphenate, I insert conditional hyphens with Ctrl+- (Ctrl+ the minus key) where desired and grammatically correct. Is this the best course to follow?
Last edited by ecbritz on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

ecbritz

Re: Language settings, intermittent language selections & hypenation

Post by ecbritz » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:40 pm

If you read my original posting, please note that I changed it because I cleared up an initial misunderstanding on my part. I think I have now arrived at the question I should have asked. What is the best way to handle the hyphenation issue I describe?
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:47 pm

Hyphenation can not only be altered globally via Tools > Automatic Hyphenation, but also per paragraph (Format > Paragraph..., tab "Text Flow"). In a document with different languages and mixed hyphenated and non-hyphenated parts, I would always prefer to work with corresponding paragraph formats which have all the necessary settings (language, hyphenation, etc.) and can easily be selected in the sidebar.

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:13 pm

Do you mean you apply styles using the sidebar?
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:59 pm

Yes, it is the easiest way! You choose either the list of paragraph styles or of character styles in the sidebar and double-click the style you want. in this screenshot, paragraph styles are selected:
Sidebar styles.png
Double-clicking a paragraph style in the sidebar changes the format of the paragraph where the cursor stands to the selected style; double-clicking a character style changes the character format of selected (highlighted) text. All other style functions are also easily accessible at the foot of the sidebar.

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:45 am

Thanks. I solve problems as I encounter them. But due to the problems being encountered in special situations -- not part of my routine writing -- I sometimes forget the solutions. I have actually written a "personal Textmaker manual" containing for the most part my own problems and their solutions. When I find time again, I'm going to reread and update that file, adding the solutions recently given to me. A solution to the problem of keeping together pictures inserted in horizontal pairs -- by grouping them -- was given to me here recently. Later I discovered the same answer in my own notes!

It would perhaps be a good idea for Softmaker to edit the built-in program documentation -- the "help files" accessed through the help button -- by going through the forum threads of the past year or two, to see what users have problems with. Very important also is to make the index very comprehensive, so that users can easily find the solutions they seek. For instance, the problem of hyphenation in a document containing excerpts in various languages could be addressed and indexed as "Hyphenation" (first level) -- "Multiple languages in document" (second level). Just an idle thought on a Thursday morning.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:18 am

ecbritz wrote: It would perhaps be a good idea for Softmaker to edit the built-in program documentation -- the "help files" accessed through the help button -- by going through the forum threads of the past year or two, to see what users have problems with. Very important also is to make the index very comprehensive, so that users can easily find the solutions they seek. For instance, the problem of hyphenation in a document containing excerpts in various languages could be addressed and indexed as "Hyphenation" (first level) -- "Multiple languages in document" (second level). Just an idle thought on a Thursday morning.
I will refer your suggestion to the product management. Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:38 am

I second ecbritz' suggestion. In my experience as a forum regular both in the German and in the English forum, certain topics concerning some not-too-obvious functions in SoftMaker Office tend to reappear again and again. (But, generally spoken, I think the SoftMaker Office manuals are already on a very high level of comprehensiveness and user-friendliness.)

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”