How do I change the "ownership" of a file to overcome limited access to it?

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:51 am

Since I recently started using a new Lenovo Thinkpad -- Windows 10 Professional installed -- I experience difficulties with text files (such as Textmaker files) in terms of copying, pasting, opening and moving them to new locations.

For instance, last night I wanted to copy a Textmaker file on one of my older computers, a Lenovo Ideapad -- Windows 10 Home Premium installed -- to a memory stick (flash drive). Once on the memory stick, I wanted to copy and paste the same Textmaker file to the Thinkpad.

I inserted the memory stick in the Thinkpad, then tried to copy and paste the Textmaker file to the desktop. Impossible. There was a warning that I needed Administrator Rights to paste the file to the Thinkpad. There is no way you can acquire Administrator Rights while trying to paste a copied file. All I could do, was to email the Textmaker file on the Ideapad to myself, then open the mail with the attachment on the Thinkpad.

I have a lesser but similar problem with opening copied & pasted Textmaker files in terms of them being forever "Write Protected". A "Read Only" copy is pasted.

How do I free up the opening, copying, pasting and moving of text files so they are not so restricted and overprotected?

Is a Softmaker or Textmaker setting involved? Or is it a matter of changing a Windows 10 setting? Since Windows 10 is the foundation on which Textmaker rests, on my computers at least, advice about setting up Windows 10 should not be amiss here.
Last edited by ecbritz on Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: How do I remove Administration Rights and Read Only limitations from Textmaker files?

Post by sven-l » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:38 am

It seems that you are working with a restricted Windows user. try to copy/paste the files into another folder. Does that work? Also, can you copy/paste other files than TextMaker files to the desktop? There is no setting in SoftMaker Office to change the file and folder permissions. This is a Windows setting.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ecbritz

Re: How do I remove Administration Rights and Read Only limitations from Textmaker files?

Post by ecbritz » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:49 pm

If you set your region to the USA in Windows 10 settings, you have access to Windows Chat Support, where, if you are lucky to meet a knowledgeable tech support assistant, you often find the solution to a Windows 10 problem. The Windows chat service operates from the Philippines and not every assistant knows enough to help you. But its a nice way to seek help. I have no idea if and why I might be a restricted Windows user. What could cause Microsoft to restrict some users?
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:55 pm

You might be able to get around the restriction by copying the files to your %Public%\Documents folder in the first instance, and then from there to your Desktop (or a folder on your Desktop).

If that doesn't work, I think you need to change the permissions for your user account. Hold down the ⊞WinKey and press R to display the Run box, paste control userpasswords2 into the box and press 'OK'; alternatively, search for netplwiz and click on Netplwiz.exe in the search results. Either of these methods will bring up the User Accounts dialog, where selecting a user name in the list and pressing the 'Properties' button will bring up another dialog. Use the 'Administrator' radio button on the Group Membership tab in that dialog to grant the selected user administrator access.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:20 pm

Thanks very much for the advice. I've been very busy the past week, so I can only find time now to reply.

I ran netplwiz as recommended. My Group Membership was already set to Administrator. There is an Other setting meant for Administrators (the plural form). I did not select that because you did not recommend "Other".

May I just say that I was wrong in referring to "Textmaker files". I am referring to any file that can normally be opened with Textmaker, such as a .doc file.

With Windows 10, when you right-click on a filename, you can do Properties > Security > then choose either SYSTEM, your Windows username or Administrators > then click on Edit . Next you can Allow or Deny permissions for the named file.

Should I do this when I encounter a text file resistant to opening with Textmaker?

A friend told me that problems with file permissions often crop up when you try to open old files from an old computer on a new computer. He said I must change the Ownership setting available under Right-click on Filename > Properties > Security. I can't find any Ownership setting with Windows 10. Where do I find it?
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: How do I change the "ownership" of a file to overcome limited access to it?

Post by sven-l » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:40 pm

There are several howtos in the internet that show you how to take the ownership of files and folders:
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-own ... indows-10/
http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-take- ... n-windows/

Please note that you should have full access to all files and folders under the Documents folder of your user profile (e.g. the Downloads folder).
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ecbritz

Re: How do I change the "ownership" of a file to overcome limited access to it?

Post by ecbritz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:18 am

Thanks!
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”