Saving Page Styles

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Mikayl

Saving Page Styles

Post by Mikayl » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:44 am

Whenever I create a new page style it appears in the relevant box with the others, but when I shut down and re-open TextMaker it isn't there. I've followed the instructions in HELP, but to no avail. I've got a feeling the answer is staring me right in the face and I'm missing something obvious...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Saving Page Styles

Post by Jossi » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:44 am

I'm not sure what "page style" means. In TextMaker, there are document templates, paragraph styles and character styles. Could you please give us some more details about what you are trying to do?

Mikayl

Post by Mikayl » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:13 pm

Sorry, my bad. I meant paragraph styles. When I create a new one it disappears as soon as I exit TextMaker. It appears in the Headings box as soon as I create it, but its gone when I open TextMaker back up.

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:20 pm

Does the missing paragraph style reappear if you reopen the document that was open when you created the style? Does it appear in a new document if you switch to showing 'All styles' instead of only 'Styles in use'?
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

Jim-J

Post by Jim-J » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:12 pm

Mikayl wrote:Sorry, my bad. I meant paragraph styles. When I create a new one it disappears as soon as I exit TextMaker. It appears in the Headings box as soon as I create it, but its gone when I open TextMaker back up.
Did you save the document as a template (tmv, dotx)?
Jim J.
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Freddie

Post by Freddie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:14 pm

Paragraph styles are generally inherited when you open an existing document - as expected. If you create a new style and then save the 'normal' template, the style appears in all new docs using that template. Interestingly, this still doesn't work when changing the default text size.

If this part of the code is tweaked for the next service pack, the obvious approach is simply to ensure that the 'normal' template can be fully edited and re-saved by the user according to their own preference. They can of course create entirely new templates, but that's another story... :)

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:45 pm

Freddie wrote:Paragraph styles are generally inherited when you open an existing document - as expected. If you create a new style and then save the 'normal' template, the style appears in all new docs using that template. Interestingly, this still doesn't work when changing the default text size.
I tried it with the current revision 752:
1. Open TextMaker
2. Invoke File=>Open
3. Select .tmv as file type
4. Select the Normal.tmv template from the correct language folder (e.g./Templates 2016/English for the English user interface)
5. Invoke Format=>Paragraph Style
6. Select the Style "Normal" and click on "Edit", then on "Character
7. Change the font and/or font size
8. Confirm the change and save the Normal.tmv template
9. Invoke File=>New and create a new file based on the changed template
=> The new file uses the changed font settings of the Normal.tmv template
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Freddie

Post by Freddie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:01 pm

You are, of course, quite right Sven - it works when you edit the font from within 'paragraph styles'.

I think what confuses people is if they simply change the font settings in a blank doc and then save the template, expecting the new setting to be preserved. That would be intuitive - but not critically important.

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”