NEW problem: Unable to Store Files in Usual Location

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

kelltic

NEW problem: Unable to Store Files in Usual Location

Post by kelltic » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:59 pm

I store all .tmd documents in a folder named TextMakerDocs. At least I did until today. When I tried to save a file I'd been working on, I found the popup box with the list of folders to choose from does not include the TextMaker folder or the folder it is nested in. In fact, it isn't showing a goodly number of folders on my system. If I try to open a file that is not listed in the Recent Files list, the same thing happens. I cannot open a file from folder where the .tmd files are stored without using Explorer.

This is hugely frustrating. When did this behavior change? If it was a system update, please tell me how I can go backwards to something that works.

I tried to jog TextMaker's memory by opening a couple of recently used files, but that didn't help. I installed the latest service pack.Then I tried a system reboot. I also tried to find a place where I can set the default location, but I can't find one. The only options available are for backups and templates.

If I uninstall and reinstall the version I downloaded will that fix my problem?

Can anyone help?

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: NEW problem: Unable to Store Files in Usual Location

Post by Jossi » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:31 am

I cannot quite follow your description. What do you mean by "the popup box with the list of folders to choose from"? Are you using SoftMaker's file dialog or the system's? (Tools > Options..., tab "Appearance", box "Use system file dialogs".) Can you describe exactly how you proceed to save a document?

kelltic

Post by kelltic » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:53 pm

Jossi wrote:I cannot quite follow your description. What do you mean by "the popup box with the list of folders to choose from"? Are you using SoftMaker's file dialog or the system's? (Tools > Options..., tab "Appearance", box "Use system file dialogs".) Can you describe exactly how you proceed to save a document?
Thank you for answering.

In answer to your first question: By popup box, I mean, the Save As dialogue box. Until yesterday, using CNTRL+S, or choosing File from TextMaker's menu, or clicking on TextMaker's Save File icon, would take me directly to where I saved my last file.

Now it opens the Save As dialogue box. To complicate matters, TextMaker’s Save As dialogue box is not displaying all of the system's folders, and one of the folders it is not showing me is the folder where I normally save TextMaker’s files.

As for your question about Tools > Options . . ., I had to pull that up to see what you were talking about. That option is set on Windows Classic. I don't remember ever changing it. Although I may have done when I first set up SoftMaker Office. At any rate, I don't see how changing that would have an effect on the dialogue box problem.

Again, thanks for trying to help.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:23 am

My question concerning Tools > Options... was about this option:
Screenshot 2.jpg
If this box is unchecked, you get a different loooking Save dialog.
When I am going to save a document I get this dialog:
Screenshot 1.jpg
Is the problem of not finding your document folder about the usual folder tree (circled red here) or the quick path function (circled green)?
(As I am working wiht a German language system, parts of the dialog window shown in my screenshot are in German, but this dosen't matter here.)

kelltic

Post by kelltic » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:04 pm

YES! YES! THAT was the problem. The Use System File Dialog box was unchecked.

I doubt I'd have figured that out on my own, because the only thing I remember changing is the Dialog Style.Thank you so much!
You've made my world a happier place. 8)

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:20 pm

8)

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”