Setting the default location of saved files

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

ecbritz

Setting the default location of saved files

Post by ecbritz » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:58 pm

I have migrated to a new computer and must re-learn some basic procedures to be followed when setting up TextMaker for the first time. I can't believe that I have forgotten and can't find the spot where you determine the default location of saved files. I usually save new files to the user's desktop. From this temporary location I move completed files to a drive and/or folder where they are permanently stored. Where do I set the default location of saved files, i.e. the desktop in my case?
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Setting the default location of saved files

Post by sven-l » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 am

TextMaker remembers the last position you used to save a file via File=>Save as. Also, you have a list of the last used files under Menu=>File (file history)-.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ecbritz

Target of File>Save, Backups Icon, Saving to .odt

Post by ecbritz » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:09 am

1. Thanks for the support with the "default" target of File > Save. How I managed to make my Windows Downloads folder the target of File > Save, is a mystery. But I'm targeting the desktop again, no problem.

2. I keep my Textmaker Backups in a folder on my desktop, so I can revert to older versions of a document almost on the fly, working to and from the desktop while writing any new document. I attach the icon (.ico file) I apply to my Textmaker Backups folder, in a zip file, should anybody be interested. Remember you must first open the zip file, then extract the icon file inside to a specified folder before you can apply it to a folder.

3. By the way, I find that Textmaker is not very good at saving to .odt . You can read the .odt produced, but the formatting goes awry. When opened with an open source word processor, its a bit of a mess. It does not really affect me -- I just thought you might want to pay some attention to .odt.
Attachments
Textmaker Backups.zip
(43.5 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Target of File>Save, Backups Icon, Saving to .odt

Post by sven-l » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:58 am

ecbritz wrote: 3. By the way, I find that Textmaker is not very good at saving to .odt . You can read the .odt produced, but the formatting goes awry. When opened with an open source word processor, its a bit of a mess. It does not really affect me -- I just thought you might want to pay some attention to .odt.
Filters can always be improved. If you have some sample .ODT files that cannot be properly read by TextMaker or lose some formattings after saving, you can send them to support(at)softmaker.de to help us to improve the .odt filters. Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”