How do I find and read .wpd files with Softmaker?

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

ecbritz

How do I find and read .wpd files with Softmaker?

Post by ecbritz » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:01 pm

I have a vast store of .wpd files because I used WordPerfect from the DOS version 5.1, intermittently, up to version X6. Then I finally parted with this grand behemoth of word processing antiquity. Does Textmaker read .wpd files?

WordPerfect X6 does not work well with Windows 10 and I don't feel like buying X7 simply to find and read my .wpd files stored over many years. Once you find a .wpd file, you can change the extension name to .doc and it will open in Textmaker.

LibreOffice can find and open .wpd documents. But having also parted with the open source word processors, could Textmaker take over that job?
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: How do I find and read .wpd files with Softmaker?

Post by martin-k » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:07 pm

TextMaker 2016 for Windows has an import filter for WordPerfect files (simply through File > Open).
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

ecbritz

Post by ecbritz » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:21 pm

Thanks! I installed LibreOffice just so I could open .wpd documents and it seemed to select itself as the default .wpd reader. After your response Textmaker is doing the job, praise be. By the way, I have been trying to "completely" uninstall LibreOffice and have deleted the LibreOffice folder found under Appdata/Roaming as well (after uninstalling the program itself). Is this OK?
Softmaker 2016 & 2018.

Jim-J

Post by Jim-J » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:48 pm

Although we don't have anything to do with LibreOffice, I think it's probably okay to delete the LibreOffice folder if it's uninstalled anyway.
Jim J.
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:24 pm

ecbritz wrote:By the way, I have been trying to "completely" uninstall LibreOffice and have deleted the LibreOffice folder found under Appdata/Roaming as well (after uninstalling the program itself). Is this OK?
Anything under 'AppData\Roaming' is just application data for the software in question, so it serves no purpose if you've uninstalled the software and you don't intend to reinstall it.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”