change measurement default & copy & paste anomaly

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Reg

change measurement default & copy & paste anomaly

Post by Reg » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:47 pm

#1 - Can I change the default measurement from cm to inches? If so how?

#2 - Often when I copy and paste a block of text from elsewhere into TextMaker what
appears in TextMaker doesn't contain the paragraph breaks that are there in the original
that has been copied & pasted. Is there something I can do to ensure that what I see
in TextMaker is the same as the original or is that a glitch that needs to be fixed.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: change measurement default & copy & paste anomaly

Post by martin-k » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:51 pm

1. SoftMaker Office uses the setting that you have selected in Windows Control Panel.

2. If your source text really has paragraph breaks, they will be pasted in TextMaker. Often, text from web pages uses only the <br> command, but this is imported as a linebreak, not a paragraph break (and that's the correct behavior). You can turn on the display of paragraph marks to see this. A search & replace for line breaks to paragraph breaks will fix this.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Reg

Post by Reg » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:55 am

Martin thnx for your response.

I don't recall selecting any setting for measurements in Windows Control Panel. I've looked but can't seem to find anywhere in the control panel where I can select inches as a default setting. Can you tell me where in the control panel I canan select inches as a default setting?

In the past I've made settings changes like this in the software (Word, Open Office, Serif, etc).

Thnx..

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:00 am

In Windows 7:
- Start Control Panel
- Select Clock, Language and Region
- Select Change the date, time or number format
- A dialog pops up, showing your current locale. If you have U.S. selected, it should automatically default to inches.
- If not, you can click on Additional settings and choose the Measurement system.

I wouldn't know where Microsoft Word would allow a setting of its own, independent from the Control Panel. SoftMaker Office should behave the same as Word.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:27 pm

I haven't used OpenOffice or MS Word in many years, and I don't have either of them installed here. In both LibreOffice Writer and Serif PagePlus you can simply right-click on a ruler and choose different units from the context menu.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

Jim-J

Post by Jim-J » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Alfred wrote:I haven't used OpenOffice or MS Word in many years, and I don't have either of them installed here. In both LibreOffice Writer and Serif PagePlus you can simply right-click on a ruler and choose different units from the context menu.
Hello,

this is correct. You can change the ruler measurement directly in Word:
Click File > Options > Advanced and scroll to the Display settings. Look for Show measurements in units of, and change the units.

But I don't really see a big difference if you change the ruler measurement in Windows or in the application.
Jim J.
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:30 pm

Jim-J wrote:Hello,

Click File > Options > Advanced and scroll to the Display settings. Look for Show measurements in units of, and change the units.

But I don't really see a big difference if you change the ruler measurement in Windows or in the application.
As Martin Kotulla said, SoftMaker Office should behave the same as Word. Those of us who are based in Europe will probably want to work in millimetres, but we may wish to share our files with users in North America who are working in inches.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:19 pm

Alfred wrote:
Jim-J wrote:Hello,

As Martin Kotulla said, SoftMaker Office should behave the same as Word. Those of us who are based in Europe will probably want to work in millimetres, but we may wish to share our files with users in North America who are working in inches.
The measurement units are an application setting, not a document setting. If you work with metric units and send your document to someone in the United States, they will see imperial units.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:30 pm

martin-k wrote:The measurement units are an application setting, not a document setting.
Thanks for the clarification, Martin. :)

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”