Problem Saving Docs...

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Mikayl

Problem Saving Docs...

Post by Mikayl » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:16 pm

When I try to save a document and click "Save As", I get a box containing the path. However, as I negotiate the path I reach a point where all the folders are there except the one I want to enter. When I look for it in Windows its there, but not when I try to negotiate to it through Textmaker. Currently I'm having to save the file to my desktop and then open the destination in Windows and drag and drop the file to get it where it needs to be. Any suggestions would be truly appreciated.

Alfred

Re: Problem Saving Docs...

Post by Alfred » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:09 pm

That's an odd one, Mikayl! Are there any spaces or non-Latin characters in the file name or the folder path?
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:25 pm

Which version of Windows are you using? I have a vague recollection that there was a length limit for path names in Windows. Are you trying to save the document to a location deep in subfolders with long names?

Mikayl

Post by Mikayl » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:25 pm

I'm using Windows 8. Yes....the path leading to the folder is really long....If there is a limit to the length, I think I could well have exceeded it. :-o
Last edited by Mikayl on Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikayl

Post by Mikayl » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:29 pm

Alfred wrote:That's an odd one, Mikayl! Are there any spaces or non-Latin characters in the file name or the folder path?
No.....the characters are normal. No spaces either....

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:51 pm

Mikayl wrote:I'm using Windows 8. Yes....the path leading to the folder is really long....If there is a limit to the length, I think I could well have exceeded it. :-o
Try mapping a network drive to the folder.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

Jim-J

Post by Jim-J » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:00 pm

Do you still have the saving problem? If so, can you please send a screenshot of the error message?
Can you also send the sminfo.txt (Invoke "Help->About->Write System Information")?
Jim J.
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:57 pm

Mikayl wrote:I'm using Windows 8. Yes....the path leading to the folder is really long....If there is a limit to the length, I think I could well have exceeded it. :-o
If I understand this document correctly, the maximum length for a path is 260 characters:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... px#maxpath

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”