Want to modify Normal.tmv but can't

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

cyberdiva

Want to modify Normal.tmv but can't

Post by cyberdiva » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:16 pm

I am using Textmaker 2016 (rev. 749.1202). I am very eager to make two small changes in the Normal.tmv template. One is to increase the font size from 10 to 11, and the other is to get rid of the Automatic Hyphenation. I made those changes to the Normal.tmv file in both C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\SoftMaker\Templates 2016\English and C:\Program Files (x86)\SoftMaker Office 2016\inst\mydoc\Templates 2016\English and saved the changes, but when I then open TextMaker, the old settings are still in place. Moreover, when I search for Normal.tmv using Everything Search, what comes up are versions with the old dates, not today's date. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and would appreciate some help with this.

Thanks in advance.
SoftMaker Office 2016 Standard: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit; TextMaker Mobile for Android: Nexus 7 2nd gen.

Alfred

Re: Want to modify Normal.tmv but can't

Post by Alfred » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:46 pm

Depending on how you're editing the 'Normal.tmv' file, you may be inadvertently resaving it with a '.txt' extension.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

cyberdiva

Post by cyberdiva » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:17 pm

Thanks, Alfred, for your response. I've been very careful about the extension that is being used when I save, and it's been .tmv. What I've been doing is simply clicking on the Normal.tmv file listed in one of the two directories I mentioned in my first message. It opens as a blank document in TextMaker. I make the changes, and then I save it in TextMaker as a .tmv file. Have I been doing something wrong?
SoftMaker Office 2016 Standard: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit; TextMaker Mobile for Android: Nexus 7 2nd gen.

sj2001

Post by sj2001 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:29 am

Are you changing the font size on the Normal paragraph style (and the Normal character style) before saving as Normal.tmv? If you are just changing the font size on the combo box on the toolbar I don't think it will "stick" in the Normal template.

cyberdiva

Post by cyberdiva » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:50 am

Thanks very much, sj2001, for your response. You're right--I was trying to change the font size from the combo box on the toolbar. After reading your message, I tried again, this time making the changes under Format/Paragraph and Format/Character. But when I tried to save this as Normal.tmv, I was told "Error--Unable to create file." This was when I was trying to change the Normal.tmv file in C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\SoftMaker\Templates 2016\English. I decided to try to work on the Normal.tmv file found in C:\Program Files (x86)\SoftMaker Office 2016\inst\mydoc\Templates 2016\English. When I tried to save this one, I got a rather strange error message: "Unable to open file C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\SoftMaker\Templates 2016\English\English\Normal.tmv. I was surprised that it was trying to open the other Normal.tmv file, but what really surprises and troubles me is that the path it lists is NOT CORRECT! There is no English subdirectory under the first English subdirectory! I have no idea why it got this wrong, nor what to do about it, nor why I am having such trouble changing the Normal.tmv file. I would be most grateful for more help with this.

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:20 pm

Have a look at this detailed instruction by ecbritz:
viewtopic.php?f=249&t=14884&p=51266
(and the following post).

By the way, haven't we been through something like this before?
viewtopic.php?f=249&t=1480

cyberdiva

Post by cyberdiva » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:27 pm

Thanks VERY much, Jossi, for your very helpful response. The instructions in that thread look as if they'll be just what I need. (By the way, when I clicked on the second link that you provided, I got a message saying "You are not authorised to read this forum." I checked to be sure I was logged in, and I was.)

cyberdiva

Post by cyberdiva » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Jossi, just a quick note to say that I followed the combined instructions from ecbritz and you, as found in the first link you provided, and I've successfully created a new default template. MANY THANKS to both you and ecbritz! =D>

Alfred

Post by Alfred » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:52 pm

cyberdiva wrote:Thanks VERY much, Jossi, for your very helpful response. The instructions in that thread look as if they'll be just what I need. (By the way, when I clicked on the second link that you provided, I got a message saying "You are not authorised to read this forum." I checked to be sure I was logged in, and I was.)
I think Jossi omitted the final digit of the thread number in the second link. Try this one instead: viewtopic.php?f=249&t=14801
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.)
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944)

cyberdiva

Post by cyberdiva » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:56 pm

Thanks, Alfred, for the correct URL. I've now read through the thread (again :) ). Clearly, the success I thought I had then didn't last, though I have no idea why it didn't. I was also interested to see that again today I ran into TextMaker's wanting to save my new template in my comp_info directory rather than the one in Documents\SoftMaker\Templates 2016\English. I didn't bother to mention this this time, since 1) I hadn't remembered having the same problem earlier, and 2) this time I simply corrected the path to the correct one and continued with what turned out to be a successful effort. I don't know why on both the earlier episode and the current one, TextMaker tried to save my newly created template in an inappropriate folder. I do NOT mess around with TextMaker. I simply use it to read and write .doc and .docx files. Since all is now well (knock on wood), I don't have any desire to troubleshoot this problem. I am sure, however, that it did not occur because of my trying to create an inappropriate path.

Again, my heartfelt thanks to all who helped me get a default template with the settings I want.

Patrick

Post by Patrick » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:40 pm

What I always do (when I have the save problem) is save the desired template .tmv to something like "Normal1.tmv" and then later navigate to the location and delete (or rename) the Normal.tmv and change Normal1 to Normal and then it automatically uses the new template as default.
Image SoftMaker Office Pro 2012 Rev. 702 User

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”