Edit Picture Resolution

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Cedric48

Edit Picture Resolution

Post by Cedric48 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:31 am

Hello,
I am trying to insert pictures of small medals (30 to 50 mm diameter) into a text document (xxx.doc format). I have used an image editor to correctly size the pictures, and set them to 300 dpi.
I have then opened the document in TextMaker 2016, and use Object > New Picture to insert the image file.
My 1st question is whether in Object > Order, I should choose Object Frame or Embedded Object?
I find that the picture is far larger than I want, and going into Picture Properties I see it is embedded at 120 dpi, though the source picture file is at 300 dpi.
My next question is how I change the resolution from 120 to 300? I have seen how I can change the size of the picture while retaining the 120 dpi, but I would prefer that the picture retained a greater resolution.
I can’t find the answer in the User Manual.
--
Regards
Cedric

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Edit Picture Resolution

Post by Jossi » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:54 am

When you insert an image via Object > New Picture, the image is embedded as part of the text, i.e. in almost every respect it is treated like a single character. You can change its size, but you have no control over its exact position; when you insert text before the image, it wanders with the text. Sometimes this is wanted, but in most cases I recommend strongly to work with picture frames (Object > New Picture Frame) because this gives you full control over every aspect of the image (exact size and position, text flow, whether it shall move with the text or keep its position, and so on).

The resolution given in Picture Properties is of no importance at all. For the quality of a picture, the only thing that counts is the number of horizontal and vertical pixels. Adjusting the resolution using an image editor will in most cases not change the number of pixels (and so not the image quality) but the output size. Lets say you have a picture with 300 x 600 pixels. With a 300 dpi resolution, this image is 1'' wide and 2'' high. When you change the resolution to 100 dpi, it's still the same picture, only it is now 3'' wide and 6'' high. TextMaker does it the other way round: You define the output size of an image and the resolution is adjusted accordingly, depending on the output medium. So if you insert this image into a TextMaker document with a size of 1/2'' x 1'' and print it out on a 600 dpi printer, the image on paper will have a resolution of 600 dpi. When you use a 300 dpi printer instead, the image on paper will have a resolution of 300 dpi, so the number of pixels will be reduced to 150 x 300 and the picture quality will be worse, but this is strictly a matter of the limits of the printer and has nothing to do with TextMaker. On screen (with "View" set to 100%) the image will have a resolution of about 96 dpi, i.e. the resolution of your monitor screen. If you insert the same picture into a document with a size of 1'' x 2'', the image on paper will only have a resolution of 300 dpi even if you print it out on a 600 dpi printer, because there are no more pixels to fill the given area. So forget about resolution; the only thing you have to do in TextMaker is to define the size of the picture and to procure an image with enough pixels to look good in this size.

One final tip: If you have a great number of pictures with exactly the same size, it can be a bit tedious to adjust each picture frame manually to the right size. Do it once, then copy the picture in Object mode as often as needed, go for each frame to Picture:Properties, tab "Picture", click "File..." and replace the image file. This is much quicker than adjusting the width and height for each frame via the "Format" tab.

Cedric48

Post by Cedric48 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:29 pm

<t>The photos were taken with a reasonably modern phone, so contained far more pixels before editing with the image editor, than after, ie the editing process hasn't tried to "add" pixels. So if I could change the image to higher resolution in the TextMaker document and thereby reduce the image size, the extra pixels would be there, for later access if ever needed. But if I can't change it, 120dpi will be OK for printing a hard copy, though a bit skinny for extracting the images later, or for viewing on screen under high magnification.<br/>
<br/>
Some of the images are same size, so your tip should save a bit of time.</t>
--
Regards
Cedric

Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:26 pm

Images that you import into a TextMaker document are always saved in their original size and quality, regardless of the size they appear in. So, if you have an image with 300 dpi resolution, create a new picture frame in TextMaker and load this picture, it will not be downgraded or deteriorated in any way. I just imported a picture of about 4000 x 5000 pixels and 300 dpi resolution into a TextMaker document, set the format of the picture frame to a width of 1'' (stamp size), then went to Picture Properties..., Tab "Picture", clicked "Export..." and got my original picture back in all its glory. It doesn't matter at all what the picture properties panel says about resolution (it should be the original resolution anyway), you have only to define the size of the picture frame and not to worry.

One thing is weird though: If your original picture has a resolution of 300 dpi (please check this with a right-click in Windows Explorer, choose "Properties" from the context menu and go to tab "Details"), then, after importing it into a TextMaker document, the Picture Properties panel must show 300 dpi also. There is no reason at all why this should be changed to 120 dpi. Are you quite sure you imported the right picture?

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”