All Styles List

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for TextMaker 2016 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

snowshed

All Styles List

Post by snowshed » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:15 am

As I create a series of documents, I'm also creating my own list of new styles.

When I open a previously created document, and change to All Styles, the latest All Styles list is not the same as list in my current document.

Is there a way to have my current All Styles list display for all the documents I've created?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: All Styles List

Post by sven-l » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:06 am

Styles are stored in the current document. When you open another document, it does not contain the previously created styles. If you want to use the same styles in all new created files, you have to create them in a template (tmv file). then create a new file via File=>New based on this template and the new file will inherit the styles from the template.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

snowshed

Post by snowshed » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:41 pm

sven-l wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:06 am
Styles are stored in the current document. When you open another document, it does not contain the previously created styles. If you want to use the same styles in all new created files, you have to create them in a template (tmv file). then create a new file via File=>New based on this template and the new file will inherit the styles from the template.
Hi, Sven,

Then... Are the default styles then stored in the default template that opens when you create a new document ?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:00 pm

You have to make sure that all your templates set up correctly in the template you use to create new files. You can set every template as standard template for new files in the File=>New dialog window.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

snowshed

Post by snowshed » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:23 pm

sven-l wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:00 pm
You have to make sure that all your templates set up correctly in the template you use to create new files. You can set every template as standard template for new files in the File=>New dialog window.
Thanks, Sven, that's what I'll do.

Everyone, or almost everyone, just use Times-New Roman and Arial for everything including wrapping the garbage. I've never liked the "look", so long ago I purchased some commercial fonts for my use. Cleaner looking, and easier to read.

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:12 am

For what it's worth, I agree with your assessment of TNR. I prefer something like Arial, but when it comes to certain standards for writing research papers, organizations like APA want Times New Roman. I don't know why, but that is what we are stuck with.
Cheers
Jim

snowshed

Post by snowshed » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:11 am

jimjutte wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:12 am
For what it's worth, I agree with your assessment of TNR. I prefer something like Arial, but when it comes to certain standards for writing research papers, organizations like APA want Times New Roman. I don't know why, but that is what we are stuck with.
I suspect ignorance is part of the reasoning for TNR. Another may be some word processors likely do not or cannot embed fonts. So formatting may get all screwed up when read with a substitute font.

Fortunately, I'm not faced with that conundrum, and these days, I export as PDF and send the file. With the font embedded, of course. <G>

Return to “TextMaker 2016 for Windows”