Newbie Questions

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

chrob61

Newbie Questions

Post by chrob61 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Hello-

I've just had a hard drive crash and needed a new drive put on my system. I use Windows 7 which doesn't come with Excel/Word, so I decided to try your SoftMaker. So far so good, but I have a question.

Before, I used to keep an icon of Microsoft Excel in my toolbar and then go into it to open any files that are using Excel. I have spreadsheets and lists that have been now opened with SoftMaker, but is there a general icon I can keep in my toolbar to let me get in to your "Excel" application? Same thing goes for "Word".

Thank you!

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by jimjutte » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:03 pm

When you say "General" icon, for me that implies a single icon that will launch the office suite... for example Libre Office has something like that.

To my knowledge, there isn't. You'll need to use the TextMaker icon for the word processor and the PlanMaker icon for the spreadsheet.

FWIW, I have found that using the "general icon" approach sucks the life out of my computer. I find the approach with one icon for one app to be MUCH more responsive. Hope that helps.
Cheers
Jim

chrob61

Post by chrob61 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi Jim-

Before, when I had excel, there was a Microsoft Excel logo (the green X) that I kept in my toolbar. Whenever I wanted to pull up any spreadsheet, I'd go to the logo, open by document.

So I guess I can keep the PlanMaker icon in my toolbar? I'm not sure if you meant doing that will suck a lot of computer memory or not??

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:36 am

Yes, you can keep the icon on your toolbar (I think you mean the Desktop taskbar?). It will not use much of your RAM or HD memory.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:20 am

1. Open the start menu and look for the TextMaker icon.
2. Click and drag the icon from your start menu and drop it on the task bar...
3. You'll now see it on the taskbar and if you click once, it will start instantly.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Jim

chrob61

Post by chrob61 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks Jim- I'll give it a try.

Can I do the same with PlanMaker? I posted on another board and found the PlanMaker is the closest to Excel.

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:04 pm

Yes you can. I am attaching a zipped video in case you are not sure how this is done. Just unzip with 7zip and it will function in VLC or any player that is capable of playing mpeg4.
Attachments
drag_icon_taskbar.7z
(572.89 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Cheers
Jim

chrob61

Post by chrob61 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks, but every time I try to unzip that file, it opens in adobe, and can't be unzipped. I tried downloading 7 zip but don't know how that works??

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:50 pm

Sorry for the delay. If you installed 7zip, it will be in your start menu on the top.

1. Start 7zip and it will open up.
2. Go to the location of the zipped file similar to the way you would if you were using Windows Explorer.
3. You will see the zipped file. Click on the file and then click on "extract".
4. If you just let 7zip extract, it will extract it in the same folder as the zip file.
5. Close 7zip once the file has been extracted.

Use a video player such as VLC to open the file and it will play.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Jim

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows (General)”