Tmd or Doc which is the best format I should save in...

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

lori67k

Tmd or Doc which is the best format I should save in...

Post by lori67k » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:30 am

I just installed your software in trying to find a good alternative to Microsoft 365 Word, because monies were a bit tight this month and I love that this software is free, however, when I opened one of my word docs to edit and then save using your textmaker, I saved a copy using the .tmd format but then it dawned on me... what if I want to go back to using Word from microsoft? Is the tmd format going to be an issue with docs edited and/or created using this format in textmaker, within the Word program if I go back to using it?

Should I save these files in doc format instead?

The word docs are automatically saved as docx format with Microsoft 365, so I am unsure which doc format version textmaker offers would be the best, should I return to word since docx is not available in your program. There are only 2 doc format options available in the 'save as' window upon saving. These two formats are:

Microsoft Word 97-2003 .doc
and
Microsoft Word 6.0/95 .doc

Which one would you recommend I save in to ensure I can open up word documents should I switch back?

Another question (related) to this one is... can I select one of the doc formats as the default save option?
If so, how would I go about setting .doc format as the default option in textmaker?

Thank you for your time :)

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Tmd or Doc which is the best format I should save in...

Post by sven-l » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:40 am

.tmd can only be opened by TextMaker, but if you decide to go back to Microsoft, you can still open .tmd files and save them as .doc.

Word 97-2003 is the more modern option compared to Word 6, and just as compatible.

You can set the default file format in Tools > Options > Files.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

lori67k

Re: Tmd or Doc which is the best format I should save in...

Post by lori67k » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:33 am

oh awesome :) thank you

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows (General)”