Office on Windows 10

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

seasidepb

Office on Windows 10

Post by seasidepb » Tue May 17, 2016 12:49 pm

Most of the time these days I use a hybrid 2 in 1. It's a great little tool, and WIndows 10 is steadily getting to the point where it can make good sense of whichever mode you want to work in. What you quickly come to realise is the value of being able to control the screen with touch as well as keyboard and mouse/touchpad, particularly for actions like scrolling. I'd already had a taste of this with the Android version of SMO, and it would be great if the desktop version also supported a basic set of touch gestures. At the moment if you try to drag your finger up or down it just highlights the text. I'd love to see a smart win10 version of SMO - not necessarily a full UWP version if that meant limiting functionality too much, but a proper competitor to MS Office - It would give you a real edge in the market.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Office on Windows 10

Post by sven-l » Thu May 19, 2016 8:50 am

I will refer your suggestion to the developers. Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Desert Beacon

Post by Desert Beacon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:30 pm

I agree. Touch gestures would be a significant improvement for this excellent product.

JRAB

Post by JRAB » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:27 am

I agree completely with this. I have a 2-in-1 Win10 "convertible" with 10" screen which is a great, usable, portable device. However, with 32GB of onboard storage I need to be pretty careful over application sizes to avoid filling it up with junk....

I have the Mobile versions of Microsoft Word / Powerpoint / Excel installed, but they're not what you'd call "fully-featured" - for instance they won't open any Microsoft "template" files (doct, xlt, etc) - and if trying to do anything actually productive you quickly run into the limitations of these Mobile versions.

I had previously installed MS Office 365 but the install was well over 1GB total size, which just doesn't play well on a 32GB device so had to remove it.

In contrast, the full version of Softmaker Freeoffice is 163MB! Which is actually not that much bigger than the total size of the three MS Office Mobile installs.

Problem is that Softmaker is really hard to use on a small / mid-sized touchscreen device, even one with an addon keyboard. The icons & toolbars are too small and too close together, the scrollbars are narrow and almost impossible to hit but (as mentioned in the OP) swipe-to-scroll isn't supported.

I also have a 7" Windows 10 tablet, which is great as I can carry a full Windows PC in my inside jacket pocket. However, attempting to use Softmaker Office on that is just a complete disaster.

I would happily purchase the Professional version of Softmaker if it had some optimisation for use with smaller touchscreen devices. I think Softmaker is missing a trick and a potentially large market of these smaller hybrid devices where MS Office is just too bloated.

Richard.
Last edited by JRAB on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:37 am

We are working on improved touch support for the next major version of SoftMaker Office.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

JRAB

Post by JRAB » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:42 am

That's great to know!

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows (General)”