Service Pack 742

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

dvally

Service Pack 742

Post by dvally » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:27 pm

I tried updating my version of SMO2016 with the latest SP, but got the following warning from Webroot SecureAnywhere.

The file was removed after downloading. Can you shed any light on this for me please?

Thanks
SP742.png

LanceGary

Re: Service Pack 742

Post by LanceGary » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:42 pm

I use Kaspersky's antivirus software. It allowed the update to install without problems.

Lance

griffinnova

Post by griffinnova » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:03 pm

I also have Webroot and received the same response regarding a W32.malware.gen file being in the Service Pack. Webroot removed the file and, after reading descriptions of that malware file (i.e., it can back door credit card information and other personal information from your computer), I will not load the Service Pack until there is a full explanation in this forum. Thank you.

EricC

Post by EricC » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:01 am

Webroot is not liking something with the 7-zip self extracting archive. After I restored the file and extracted its contents, I had Webroot scan the extracted folder and there were no issues. So it's a false positive.

cyberdiva

Post by cyberdiva » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:17 am

I came to the forum to report a very similar occurrence. Today I installed the update ofw16_742.exe, and as it was installing, a little box popped up from Microsoft Security Essentials telling me it was cleaning the malware. The box then disappeared. After the update was installed, I went into MSE and looked at the history. It informed me that it had detected PSW:Win32/Sinowal.gen!Q. The alert level was said to be Severe, and the Action Taken was "Quarantined." However, it went on as follows:

The following error occurred: Error code 0x80508023. The program could not find the malware and other potentially unwanted software on this computer.

Category: Password Stealer

Description: This program is dangerous and captures user passwords.

Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.

Items:
file:C:\Program Files (x86)\SoftMaker Office 2016\TextMaker.exe
==========

There was also a link to more information from Microsoft. It described the malware this way: "This threat is classified as a Trojan - Password Stealer. Typically, a password stealing trojan installs a keystroke logger (commonly referred to as a keylogger) which records keystrokes and sends the recorded information to remote attackers. Some keyloggers monitor only keystrokes involved in specific types of web-based transactions. For example, a keylogger may include a component that monitors browser activity, only recording keystrokes when certain bank or ecommerce sites are accessed. Other types of password-stealing trojans include those that capture screenshots in an attempt to bypass graphic-based security measures. This threat is detected by the Microsoft antivirus engine. Technical details are not currently available."

I'm not sure what to make of this. MSE did but did not quarantine this program which it found but could not find. ??? Although I didn't install the update until today, I had downloaded it on September 4, the same date as earlier reports in this thread. Is it possible that the update file available on that date was compromised in some way? I'd be most grateful for some advice about how to proceed.
SoftMaker Office 2016 Standard: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit; TextMaker Mobile for Android: Nexus 7 2nd gen.

cyberdiva

Post by cyberdiva » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:27 pm

I also wrote to Microsoft about this problem (since for me it involved Microsoft Security Essentials). It was suggested that I "contact the developer of SoftMaker office and provide this link": https://www.microsoft.com/security/port ... urces.aspx
SoftMaker Office 2016 Standard: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit; TextMaker Mobile for Android: Nexus 7 2nd gen.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:44 am

cyberdiva wrote:I also wrote to Microsoft about this problem (since for me it involved Microsoft Security Essentials). It was suggested that I "contact the developer of SoftMaker office and provide this link": https://www.microsoft.com/security/port ... urces.aspx
I filled out the Developer contact form under the link you provided. I hope it helps to add our service packs to the white list of Microsoft Security Essentials.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

cyberdiva

Post by cyberdiva » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:02 pm

Thanks very much, Sven. I hope that will prevent future false positives.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows (General)”