Where are the improvements?

General questions and answers about SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows. Don't post application-specific questions here, but in the appropriate subforum.
Simon

Where are the improvements?

Post by Simon » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:35 pm

I do not know if I made something wrong but I downloaded a SMO 2016 trial and I could not find:
1. 64bits in Windows. I read somewhere the new version will support it but the trial I got is 32bit and I could not find another.
2. Sheet to window in PlanMaker. The chance to see a sheet or a copy of the current document in a window beside the actual one. Sharing information between files or comparing them is a common task since the Windows appeared, in the past you had to link files, a very problematic procedure inhecesary now with many sheets in a single document (links are updated automatically) but How am I going to do it if I can not see what happens in sheet 2 when I am seen sheet 1?! Well, I could not find this simply and useful function in PlanMaker 2016.
3. See a copy of the current document in another window. It is similar than point 2. When you edit a document larger than 2 pages it is frequent to have one section in a window with another beside. You may be translating, creating and index, setting quotations, editing a resume or introduction, etc. Then again, I could not see it in TextMaker 2016.
4. Many languages in the same PlanMaker document. TextMaker can assign a language to any paragraph in a document, but I could not see a way to make the same with PlanMaker sheets. It is as point 2, in the past you had to make a document for each language, now you shall have a sheet in a single file instead (at least, because it must be available per cell). Where is it in PlanMaker 2016?

How can I get those features? SMO 2012 did not have them I hope 2016 does.

XL-Dennis

Re: Where are the improvements?

Post by XL-Dennis » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:14 pm

1. It's correct, there is no x64 version available. In a way it's true that SMO 2016 support x64 as the 32-bit version can be used on with the x64 Windows platform.

2. The Single Document Interface (SDI) was introduced and implemented in Excel 2013. I find it hard to expect that such a new feature would be shipped with PM 2016. The Pivot table was introduced with PM 2016 while it was introduced with Excel 95 (version 5.0) unless my memory trick me.
How can I get those features? SMO 2012 did not have them I hope 2016 does.
Buy a license of Microsoft Office 365 or Microsoft Office 2016 (I believe that this is the correct version number for the coming new version). That's the best advice I can give You.
------------------------------------------------
Kind regards,
Dennis

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:36 am

Buy a license of Microsoft Office 365 or Microsoft Office 2016 (I believe that this is the correct version number for the coming new version). That's the best advice I can give You.
Thank you for bringing the subject. SoftMaker Office must not follow the MS Office steps, because:
1. MS Office is not bought for its features or cost but because it is popular within the bureaucracy "nobody has been fired for buying Microsoft".
2. MS Office is a bad piece of SW since version 2007, many functions were removed and a new file format were introduced just to make it incompatible with itself. As a result, it does not support large or complex tables (complex in this case means some text), it does not guarantee any accuracy and the interface is a bad copy of other programs (as most MS products are). Additionally it is bloatware. Remember Ballmer lost its job because Office and Windows were worst than ever.

In marketing terms, it is hard to beat the point 1 and if you make the same rubbish as described in point 2, you do be fired.
Considering this, SoftMaker Office must take its own path where:
a) Users are sensitive to quality (as myself).
b) Users appreciate innovation (as myself).
c) Compete with those who beats Microsoft, as OpenOffice and Google docs.

Some of the features I look for were included in OpenOffice a long time ago as well as in Notepad++

I had found SM Office is better than Open/Libre Office, it may even be as accurate as Gnumeric. However it does not have some practical features that must be in every program with tabs/pages, unless you do not understand how they really work.

Backing to the original post: How can those features be found in SM Office? or when id they are not included yet.
Last edited by Simon on Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XL-Dennis

Post by XL-Dennis » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:24 pm

My intention to recommend MS Office was not made so that You could take a swing on Microsoft and MS Office. I usually recommend people to make comments like Yours at the vendor's best public forum for such stuff.

The present status of GNumeric is that it's not released for Windows.

Have a great day Sir!
------------------------------------------------
Kind regards,
Dennis

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2016 for Windows (General)”