Named tables not recognized

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for PlanMaker HD for Android.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

bsbd

Named tables not recognized

Post by bsbd » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:53 am

I mentioned in the default browser thread how I was having an issue with named ranges in PlanMaker HD. I finally figured it out, it's really the fact that PlanMaker HD is having a problem with named tables. None my other spreadsheet tablet apps have this issue.

I've already emailed a small example file to the forum address. In it I've set up two different methods for looking up data in a range on another worksheet tab... The preferred method looks up stock quotes from a table on a different worksheet. The other method looks up quotes from a fixed range of cells on another worksheet. The reason tables are preferred is because it's much easier to deal with adding rows than when there is a fixed named range.

When you open the file in Excel you'll see that both methods work fine. When you open it in PlanMaker HD you'll see that it doesn't recognize the table range name.

I notice that this is also a problem in PlanMaker Mobile Free for Android.

Thanks,

-bsbd

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Named tables not recognized

Post by sven-l » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:39 pm

I will refer that problem to our developers for more investigations.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

bsbd

Post by bsbd » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:36 pm

More info:

I thought I might have discovered a temporary workaround by creating the table in Excel, which automatically adds the table name to Excel's Name Manager, and then highlighting and naming a subset range of that table's cells, and finally going into Excel's Name Manager and manually editing the range's definition to match the entire table's cell boundaries. That seemed to work for great Excel and allowed a successful vlookup regardless of whether I used the table name or the range name. I verified that adding a new symbol at the bottom of the list expanded the table range as expected, but surprisingly Excel also automatically expanded the named range boundary to include the new entry.

Next I opened the file in PlanMaker HD and the vlookup formulas were executing perfectly, so I thought this would be a good short-term solution. But alas, I discovered that just saving the file with PlanMaker HD (in .xlsx format) will blow out Excel's table info. So back to square one.

So to summarize, the two related problems are that:

1) PlanMaker HD for Android tablets and PlanMaker Mobile Free for Android phones won't recognize table definitions in Excel files and,

2) If Excel tables previously existed, they are lost when PlanMaker saves the file in the .xlsx format.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:25 am

PlanMaker currently doesn't support table definitions from Excel. It's on our wish list, but not there's no timeline when it will be implemented.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

bsbd

Post by bsbd » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:47 pm

sven-l wrote:PlanMaker currently doesn't support table definitions from Excel. It's on our wish list, but not there's no timeline when it will be implemented.
Oh well, that's a little surprising given the impressive features it actually does have. I would have expected support for tables to be one of the first compatibility priorities. But it certainly isn't a huge deal, I'll just work around it for now by dropping back and using fixed named ranges and hopefully remembering to manually edit the cell range each time I add a row.

It's nice that even though PlanMaker doesn't support Excel macros at this time, it also doesn't wipe out those macro definitions. If in the meantime PM could be made to preserve the table definitions in a similar way, it would be a good interim step since I could use my workaround to work until full table support is implemented. But I can live with as it is for now, no problem.

-bsbd

Return to “PlanMaker HD”