Way too slow on Tegra 3

Post your questions, bug reports and suggestions here for PlanMaker HD for Android.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

JornadaGuy

Way too slow on Tegra 3

Post by JornadaGuy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:03 pm

Just a few performance notes I thought you guys might be interested in.

At this point PlanMaker HD is just too slow to use on my Acer A700 even after trying a number of option changes to try and speed it up.

Certainly, my Acer A700 Tegra 3 is not the latest and greatest but it's not a dog either. There are actually current tablets still based on the Tegra 3.

I realize from past experience with Softmaker Office for Android that I have had to change a few things to get it running nicely on the Tegra 3. For one reason or another, the OpenGL acceleration has always been just the opposite with Office for Android. When I turn off OpenGL acceleration the apps respond quite a bit faster on my Acer.

I could not find a way to disable the OpenGL acceleration that I assume is being employed by Office HD. Maybe an option to do that would help.

In an annual budget spreadsheet I use, that has an individual spreadsheet for each month, even the recalculation is VERY slow. When I press return in a cell it takes almost 6 seconds before the I can start typing something in another cell!

This delay is not bad on an empty spreadsheet but of course that's not very useful. It seems the recalculation logic in HD is nowhere near as fast as it is in the normal Office for Android because I use normal Planmaker all the time with this very same spreadsheet. It's not blazing fast but it works well enough for everyday use.

Planmaker HD takes almost 5 seconds just to start up on the Acer.

Don't get me wrong. This is not meant to be another of those pathetic "I want it my way now!" emails that customers are so fond of writing. I really like your products and appreciate what you guys have done for Android and PC office use. I don't mind paying for Planmaker HD even though I can't use it.

By the way, Office HD looks great and I really wish I could use this powerful package.

I'll be more than happy to buy all of Office HD when it can finally run quick enough on my tablet. :-)

If you want me to beta test some changes on the Tegra 3 just let me know.

Keep up the good work!

Scott

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Way too slow on Tegra 3

Post by sven-l » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:03 pm

OpenGL is now always active in Office HD as it would not run anymore without OpenGL. Could you please attach your sminfo.txt (just invoke Tools=>About to write the file)? Thank you!
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

JornadaGuy

Post by JornadaGuy » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:59 pm

Sven,

Here it is. Thanks for looking into it. Just as a test I ran PlanMaker HD with the same spreadsheet on my older Acer A500 Tegra 2 hoping that the lower res display might speed things up. That was even worse. :-(

I know these Tegra CPU's present some interesting issues but even the Google Nexus 7 (2012 version) was based on it. There are a lot of those tablets out there. It's no SnapDragon, but it's not a bad CPU.

Just for my information what is packed in that binary block "ofres15.dat"?

You will note in the file that I turned off several options like in-cell editing, and such hoping to boost performance but none of it helped.

Scott
Attachments
sminfo.txt
(16.47 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:16 am

Thank you! I referred that issue to our developers and will inform you here as soon as we have a feedback.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “PlanMaker HD”