TextMaker File Save Anomaly

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker HD for Android that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

fjbailey3

TextMaker File Save Anomaly

Post by fjbailey3 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:57 am

I'm using a Motorola phone running Android 6.0. I'm using Cheetah Sync to synchronize a folder in main storage with a folder on a Windows 10 desktop. When I edit a file with Textmaker and save it, the file is saved, but also a file with the same name with "(android #) is saved. For example, if the file is "Shopping List.doc", the additional file is "Shopping List (android).doc". Subsequent saves produce additional files "Shopping List (android 2).doc" and "Shopping List (android 3).doc". Can anyone tell me what these files are, and how I stop their creation? They seem to serve no purpose, and Cheetah Sync won't synchronize them with the Windows 10 system. Thanks.

Rick B.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: TextMaker File Save Anomaly

Post by sven-l » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:42 am

Does that only happen when you work with Cheetah Sync?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

fjbailey3

Post by fjbailey3 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:23 pm

The problem isn't really with Cheetah Sync not synchronizing a file with "android" in the file name (which is the case, irrespective of what creates the file). The main problem is with TextMaker. When I edit a file named "Shopping List", I expect the changes to be saved in the same file, not in "Shopping List (android 16)". The next edits would be saved in "Shopping List (android 17)". The next time I want to edit the file, I can't just open "Shopping List". I have to find the last file saved, either by date-time stamp or by the highest number following "android" in the title. This is a pretty ineffective way of operating, and would seem to eliminate the possibility of using shortcuts to point to files. By the way, this behavior is constant between "tmd", "doc" and "rtf" files with TextMaker.

I don't have much experience with Android, and this is my only device, so I can't try this on another machine to see if the behavior is consistent or unique to the Moto E. Could this be some kind of setting on TextMaker HD?

Rick B.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:59 am

It looks like that Cheetah Sync automatically changes the file names. TextMaker does not change the file names. Does that also happen when you use another text processor instead of TextMaker together with Cheetah Sync?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

fjbailey3

Post by fjbailey3 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:50 am

Well, you're absolutely right. I can edit and save with both TextMaker Mobile and TextMaker HD without issue as many times as I was patient enough to try. But as soon as I execute Cheetah Sync, it somehow figures out what the last edit was (maybe using the ".bak" file?) and saves the pre-edited version as the ".doc" or ".tmd" file, and converts the edited file name to add the "android" word to the title. And then refuses to synchronizes that file. I haven't yet tried this with Google Docs or some other editor, but logically the behavior should be the same. Sorry to have suspected TextMaker, and thanks for your time and consideration.

Rick B.

Return to “SoftMaker Office HD for Android (General)”