Dropbox without network

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office Mobile for Android that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

JSR

Dropbox without network

Post by JSR » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:12 am

This may be a simple question (sorry!), but what happens if you're working on a file from Dropbox and you lose your network connection? Is the file still saved somewhere when you hit the "save" button?

I'm working with Textmaker on a tablet that has WiFi but I'm not always in the optimal position for a good wifi connection. I'd like to keep working on my files but know that they're safe while I'm doing it, even if I lose my WiFi connection.

I've used the Dropbox "favourite" feature to have the files on my tablet but I just want to be sure that my files remain safe.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Dropbox without network

Post by sven-l » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:59 am

I referred your question to our developers and will report here as soon as I have an answer.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:18 am

Here is an answer from the developers:

1. Without network, you cannot open or save Dropbox file (or any other cloud system).
2. You only need network while opening or saving your file.
3. No access to Dropbox occurrs while you are editing a file on Dropbox.

That means the following works fine:
Turn on WiFi -> open a file from Dropbox -> turn off WiFi -> edit the file -> turn on WiFi -> save file.

The worst case would be that the network goes down while opening or saving a file. It can lead to failure, and we cannot do anything about it.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:41 am

Thank-you for that information For further clarity, the question is more about how safe is the file when it can't be saved to Dropbox until later. For example - if we're working on a file from Dropbox and then we lose network connection and, before we can return to a network connection, we run out of battery power on our phone, is the file we were working on still "safe" on the phone? Is it "saved" somewhere on the phone by Textmaker/Planmaker until power returns?

Also -
1. Without network, you cannot open or save Dropbox file (or any other cloud system).
2. You only need network while opening or saving your file.
3. No access to Dropbox occurrs while you are editing a file on Dropbox.
How true is all of this if you're using the "favourites" feature of Dropbox?

I "favourite" the files I'm working on and, I've just checked, if I turn off all wireless access (disable WiFi and switch to Airplane Mode), I can still open/edit/save the files in Dropbox that I "favourited" (Dropbox just can't update the remote copy). So it seems that I can work on those Dropbox files even without a network connection.

You can probably understand why it's a little confusing and I'm trying to wrap my head around how "safe" the files I'm working on are.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:13 pm

In Tools=>Options you can set a time intervall for the autosave function. It offers to restore files after a crash (e.g. in case your battery runs out of power).
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

JSR

Post by JSR » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks, I think that answers the question.

Return to “SoftMaker Office Mobile for Android (General)”