SoftMaker Equation Editor Issues

RKanarek

SoftMaker Equation Editor Issues

Post by RKanarek »

Greetings,

Would anyone care to take a shot at the following questions?

Q1. The SEE (SoftMaker Equation Editor) does *not* appear on the list of OLE objects I’m able to insert (directly or via a frame). Why and what do I do about it?

Q2. It does not seem possible to selectively install, reinstall, or remove the SEE. How is one meant to do any of these things?

Note:
a. The SEE *does* appear as an insertable OLE object in Ability Write, another word processor I have installed on the same computer.
b. The SEE seems to work just fine if launched directly as an application, or if it is inserted as an OLE object by/into Ability Write (thought I have not tested either option extensively).
c. I am using the Windows 64-bit version of SoftMaker Office 2018 Professional under Windows 7.
d. When SMO 2018 proved wanting, I reinstalled SMO 2016 Pro, which I had previously uninstalled. The reinstallation process did not go well -- the two programs seemed intermingled (e.g., attempting to install SMO 2016 to USB flash drive installed SMO 2018 instead) -- but the results were good enough. I think, but I am not sure, that I lost the ability to use SEE at about this time. Both SMO 2016 and 2018 were removed, and SMO 2018 was installed, but SEE still isn’t working.

Thanks in advance for any help.
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: SoftMaker Equation Editor Issues

Post by sven-l »

RKanarek wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:24 am Greetings,

Would anyone care to take a shot at the following questions?

Q1. The SEE (SoftMaker Equation Editor) does *not* appear on the list of OLE objects I’m able to insert (directly or via a frame). Why and what do I do about it?
I work with Windows 10 (Version 1803) and TextMaker 2018 rev.931.0518. The SoftMaker Equation Editor is available for me.

Can you add an equation using Insert | Equation? This also creates an OLE object with the Equation Editor.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
RKanarek

Post by RKanarek »

Greetings,

Thanks for the reply.

There is no “Insert | Equation” menu option with the “Classic” user interface (which I normally use), so I switched to the “Ribbon” interface. I was then able to find the “Equation” option under “Insert,” but it didn’t work either.

As a check, I tried using the SoftMaker Equation Editor as an OLE object with Ability Write, version 7. I encountered no trouble whatsoever. Apparently SEE is installed, it just isn’t being recognized by SMO 2018 Pro. I then tried “repairing” SMO 2018 via “Control Panel | Programs and Features.”Again, SEE worked fine in Ability 7 but not in SMO.
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

RKanarek wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:41 pm Greetings,

Thanks for the reply.

There is no “Insert | Equation” menu option with the “Classic” user interface (which I normally use), so I switched to the “Ribbon” interface. I was then able to find the “Equation” option under “Insert,” but it didn’t work either.
What exactly did not work? Was there an error message?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
RKanarek

Post by RKanarek »

Greetings,

I’m sorry for not being more precise. Regarding your questions:

“What exactly did not work?”
Everything regarding the insertion of an equation with the SoftMaker Equation Editor. “Clicking” on the “Equation” menu option on the “Insert” ribbon produced no significant effect whatsoever. (Okay, the “Equation” option acquired a gray highlight when I hovered over it with the mouse cursor, and eventually a balloon help appeared telling me that the “Equation” option would “Insert equation in text”, but nothing relevant to actually inserting an equation happened.)

“Was there an error message?”
None whatsoever. Again, “clicking” on “Equation” had no practical effect of any kind. No equation, no error, nothing. As I’m typing this in TextMaker before uploading it to the forum, I am now pausing to “click” on “Equation” a dozen times: See, nothing! ;-)

Revision:
The “SoftMaker Equation Editor” does not even appear on the list of insertable OLE objects in TextMaker, but it does appear on the list of insertable OLEs in another word processor on the very same computer, and SEE works just find there.

Cordially,
Richard
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

There will be a new service pack available soon (rev.933). Please test it again with this update. If the issue persists, please unistall Office 2018, then download the installation file again (you can find the download link here: http://www.softmaker.com/en/softmaker-o ... s-download) and perform a complete installation. In case that the equation editor still does not work, please attach you sminfo.txt (Help=>About in TextMaker).
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
RKanarek

Post by RKanarek »

Dear Mr. Leßmann,

Thanks for the reply and the information. I followed your directions, but there was no change:
a. The update did not effect the problem in any obvious way, not even slightly.
b. Removing SMO 2018 Pro 64 and then installing the latest version of SMO 2018 Pro 64 (revision 933.0620) also produced no obvious change.
c. SoftMaker Equation Editor continues to (seem to) work perfectly as an OLE when used in another application on this computer (Ability Write), but it is not listed as an available OLE in TextMaker and it cannot be called via the ribbon’s Insert -> Equation option.

I shall send a copy of this post with a zipped, fresh copy of “sminfo.txt” to SoftMaker’s support e-mail address.

I’m curious: assuming it were working properly, and assuming I was so happy with it that I decided to upgrade to the full equation editor -- or another OLE equation editor -- how would I reconfigure the ribbon’s Insert -> Equation option to call the new equation editor rather than SEE?

Thanks in advance for your (additional) help!
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

You would need a user defined button (in the category "user" in the "Customise user interface" dialog) and link it to the other equation editor.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
RKanarek

Post by RKanarek »

Greetings,

Thanks for the information. I’m currently at a computer running TextMaker 2012, so I can’t experiment with attempting to create a new button for a nonexistent new equation editor, but I’ll assume your directions will work.

Any progress with figuring out why SEE isn’t available within TextMaker 2018, but is available within another word processor? Did you get my e-mail with the “sminfo.txt” file attached?

Cordially,
Richard

P.S. Sorry I missed what this forum’s software says was your 10 year anniversary last April. I’ll try to do better in 2028. ;-)
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

Yes, I received your mail. Could you please (just for a test) uninstall SSE and then install SoftMaker Office again. Does the SoftMaker equation editor appear afterwards?
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
RKanarek

Post by RKanarek »

Dear Mr. Leßmann,

Thanks for your continuing support.

With regard to your instruction to “please (just for a test) uninstall SSE [sic] and then install SoftMaker Office again,” I can’t. There is no obvious way to uninstall SEE all by itself. Neither SMO 2018’s installation program nor the Windows Control Panel “Programs and Features” section permit SSE to be installed, removed, “repaired,” or otherwise fiddled with independently. So I can’t “uninstall” SEE without uninstalling SMO 2018.

Regarding SMO 2018, the uninstall utility I use on this computer (“Ashampoo UnInstaller 5”) reported that some files were left behind after the last time I uninstalled SMO 2018 (using “Programs and Features”), so I uninstalled SMO 2018 again with Control Panel’s “Programs and Features,” and then let AU5 have a go at uninstalling whatever it thought it should. After reinstalling SMO 2018, there was absolutely no change: SEE was available as an OLE object in another word processor, but was not listed as being available as an OLE object in TextMaker.

I also noticed, again, that TextMaker et al. never ask me for my “Product Key” after it was reinstalled. Clearly neither SMO nor AU5 is fully uninstalling SMO as my “Product Key” is being saved somewhere. Ditto my TextMaker "Option" settings. I wonder if whatever is preventing TextMaker from using SSE is not also being saved, thereby preventing these uninstalls and reinstalls from having the desired effect.

Aside: Just to be safe, I used TextMaker’s “Manage license...” function to enter the correct “Product Key” for my copy of SMO 2018. Again, no noticeable change occurred.

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek

P.S. In case anyone is interested, I believe that the new versions of MathType are now subscription only. Further, while they were previously quite reasonable about licensing their software on a per user, not per computer, basis, I don’t know if their quasi-generosity has carried over to the new licensing scheme. While I do not know any further details about MathType, a working copy of SEE might be a handy thing to have.
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

RKanarek wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:20 pm
I also noticed, again, that TextMaker et al. never ask me for my “Product Key” after it was reinstalled. Clearly neither SMO nor AU5 is fully uninstalling SMO as my “Product Key” is being saved somewhere. Ditto my TextMaker "Option" settings. I wonder if whatever is preventing TextMaker from using SSE is not also being saved, thereby preventing these uninstalls and reinstalls from having the desired effect.
That is correct and works as designed. The license file is stored in C:\ProgramData\SoftMaker. This is a hidden system folder (it's not the program folder) and will not be uninstalled. However, if you delete the folder manually, you will have to enter your license again.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
RKanarek

Post by RKanarek »

Dear Mr. Leßmann,

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding the information about how SMO remembers my product key after being uninstalled and reinstalled, thanks for the information. I was surprised that it slipped by my third party uninstaller, but it is quite possible that I supplied my product key after ending the uninstaller’s monitoring of the installation. Such is my trust for your company and its products — and its people! ;-) — that I am a bit more lax with SMO than I might normally be.

Though welcome and informative, may I point out that your reply did not address the discrepancy between your directions and their feasibility. You directed me to “.. (just for a test) uninstall SSE [sic] ...” yet there seems to be no way of just uninstalling SEE (SoftMaker Equation Editor) alone.

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek
RKanarek

Post by RKanarek »

Greetings,

Any thoughts regarding the third paragraph of my previous post? Were I smart, would I have already abandoned all hope of getting TM2018 and SEE working together again?

Cordially,
Richard Kanarek
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

If you want just uninstall SoftMaker equation editor, you have to unstall SoftMaker Office completely and then install it again (custom installation without the equation editor).
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2018 for Windows”