SoftMaker.com

English-Language Support
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Bug in "track changes"
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:32 pm 

I am using TextMaker 2012 [rev 654] on Windows 7 64 bit. I was trying to use "track changes" on a text in Spanish. If I tried to change a word that included an accent mark, track changes would stop crossing out when it got to the accent mark. For example, I wanted to indicate that sentándome should be sentarme. Track changes put the first four letters (sent) in red and crossed them out, but it did nothing with the rest of the word (i.e., ándome). This happened again when I wanted to suggest a change to necesitaré yo mismo. Track changes put in red and crossed out necesitar, but as soon as it got to the accented é, it stopped.

I hope this can soon be fixed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:36 pm 
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

I cannot reproduce this here. How did you exactly apply the change to the word? Using search & replace, using typing, using selection then typing?

Please give me step-by-step instructions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:04 pm 

I selected the word or phrase to which I wanted to apply the change and then I started typing. For example, in the sentence that began No hay nada como sentándome, I first selected sentándome and then started typing. As soon as I typed the first letter, track changes put the first four letters in red and crossed them out, but then it stopped. I've attached a screenshot (well, actually two shots put together). The top part shows that as soon as I typed the first letter, track changes put the first four letters in red, crossed them out, and then stopped. The bottom part shows that even when I finished typing the entire word I wanted to use to replace sentándome, track changes still hadn't put the rest of the original word in red nor crossed it out. I hope this makes the issue clear.
Hmm...I've just noticed something strange. What I said above describes what happened when I did this before. However, when I tried to reproduce this so I could tell you exactly what I did and what happened, I see that track changes this time included the accented letter and then stopped, whereas before it stopped right before the accented letter.
Attachment:
trackbug2.gif
trackbug2.gif [ 2.71 KiB | Viewed 1691 times ]

Last edited by cyberdiva on Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:42 pm 
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

I still can't reproduce this. When I select the whole word and type, the deletion is applied to the whole word.

Probably the only way for me to reproduce would be if you could send me the document where this happens.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:47 pm 

How do I send the document to you? Do I simply post it as an attachment here? Or do you have an email address to which I should send it?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:00 pm 
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Please e-mail it to forum (at) softmaker.de

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:21 pm 

Thanks for your quick response. I've now emailed you the document.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:38 am 
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

We now received your sample file via e-mail but still cannot reproduce the problem with TextMaker rev. 654. When we select the whole word and type, the deletion is still applied to the whole word.

Do you have any additional instructions on what we should try?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:21 pm 

Thanks, Sven, for your response. I'm wondering whether the fact that you may be using a German-language keyboard setup may make TextMaker more easily able to handle special characters, such as those with accent marks. I'm using an English-language keyboard setup.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:03 pm 

Following up on my previous message, I think I may have identified the source of my problem. When I added a Mexican Spanish--US International keyboard, the track changes feature worked the way it should. Accented characters gave it no problem, even though I had selected my usual English-language keyboard, not the one I just added. It seems as if simply adding the keyboard made a difference for TextMaker, even though I'm not using the added keyboard.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:21 am 
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Thank you for that info! Does it mean that it works now for you? Which language keyboard setting were you using when you had these problems?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:04 pm 

Yes, track changes now works for me. When I had the problem, the only keyboard I had on my computer was a United States English keyboard. After I read that neither you nor Martin was able to reproduce the problem, I wondered whether your using a German-language keyboard made the difference. Obviously, TextMaker would have to be able to accommodate extended ASCII characters that appear routinely in German, French, Spanish, and other languages but not in English. I decided to add a Spanish (Mexico) Latin American keyboard. After adding it, I found that even when I was not using that keyboard, I was able to use track changes normally, even with words containing accented characters. I then changed the second keyboard to Spanish (Mexico) United States - International. Even with this keyboard installed but not used, I am still able to use track changes normally. So now I keep this second keyboard on my computer but always use the United States English keyboard I've always used. Apparently the simple presence of this second keyboard on my computer, even if unused, is enough to make TextMaker perform track changes correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:56 am 
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Ok, thank you for the information. I will inform the developers.