SoftMaker.com

English-Language Support
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:25 pm 

I don't have any MS office products, for several years used OpenOffice after using the Corel WP & QPW that came with the computer. Last year I tried the charity version of SM2008. I would really like to dump OOo for any number of reasons, first being it is so slow to load. I liked SM2008 so much, I took advantage of the special price offering for SM2010, and so far am not disappointed. But I can't ditch OOo yet.

PlanMaker2008 said it couldn't open a vers. 3.2 of OOo .odt or .ods: "unknown file format". PM2010 has the same problem.

If I save the file as an Excel file, it will open the file, but the page formatting is off: what would fit on an 8.5 x 11-in printout from OOo bleeds out so that the 2 right columns print on a separate page. Obviously unacceptable. I've tried saving the file as Excell 5.0, Excel 95, and Excel 97/2000/XP, all with the same results. For the record, I tried adjusting the page print margines, that didn't solve the problem. And I don't think I should have to manually resize and reformat each template.

So is there any way to open these files so that they display and print correctly? They are relatively simple files, mostly billing statements with some minimal formatting (mainly fonts, just B&W). Not really a spreadsheet, but more of a form, based on an OOo template.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:39 am 
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Currently the .ods file format is not supported. This is on our wish list for upcoming versions. Can you please send us an example xls file that does not load correctly in PlanMaker (forum(at)softmaker.de, or attach it here)? We can then compare how it looks in MS Excel 2010 and see if its an problem with the xls export in Open Office or the xls import in PlanMaker.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:09 pm 

Uploading both the original .ods template plus the .xls template. Just double-checked, the .xls opens fine in QuatrroPro 10. In PM2010 (also PM2008) columns G & H spill over onto the next print page.

Attachments:
File comment: Original template.
billing_template.ods [18.19 KiB]
Downloaded 192 times
File comment: Saved as Excel 97/2000/XP from billing_template.ods. Opens ok in QPW10.
billing_template.ods [18.19 KiB]
Downloaded 181 times

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:12 am 
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

You only attached the .ods file. What I did:

1. I opened the .ods file in Open Office
2. Then I saved it in .xls (Excel 2000) file format

Result: An error message occurs in Open Office, that some formattings get lost if I proceed to save in Excel file format. Then it creates the Excel files and this file looks similar in PlanMaker and MS Excel 2010.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:46 pm 

Apologies for the slow response, computer issues and other minor emergencies intervened.

Also, apologies for not including the .xls file -- I obviously uploaded two files, just the same file; must be the computer's fault as I never make such mistakes. Mine are usually much worse. <g>

PlanMaker 2010 opens the saved .xls file created in OpenOffice, with the warning that some formatting may be lost, but I've never lost any formatting, so I think the warning is just an overabundance of caution.

The problem I'm having is with print formatting. I'm including three screen captures:

First: billing_template.xls as viewed in PM2010; the two right-most columns are to the right of the print range.

Second: print preview of the worksheet in PM2010; the two right-most columns will be printed on a separate page.

Third: print preview of the same worksheet as viewed in Quattro Pro 10 for Windows; it shows all the columns printing as they should, and as they do in OOo.

Since the old QPW 10 can format correctly for printing, I was really hoping that PM2010 would be able to also print correctly.

Any additional feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

GeorgeD

Attachments:
screen-cap_3.png
screen-cap_3.png [ 26.7 KiB | Viewed 4499 times ]
screen-cap_2.png
screen-cap_2.png [ 33.54 KiB | Viewed 4499 times ]
screen-cap_1.png
screen-cap_1.png [ 34.9 KiB | Viewed 4499 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:50 am 
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

I will refer that problem to our developers for more investigations.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:01 pm 

sven-l wrote:
I will refer that problem to our developers for more investigations.

Okay, thanks. If they need more info, they can email or pm me. I'm also available for beta or other testing if needed.

GeorgeD