SoftMaker.com

English-Language Support
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Missing Fonts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:51 am 

Hi,

I'm using PlanMaker 2008 on an XP + SP2 machine. Everything was working fine until I got hit w/ a virus and had to restore my XP partition w/ an old image file that didn't include SM Office. I reinstalled SM Office and now neither PlanMaker nor TextMaker can see the Windows fonts. All of my usual Windows fonts are in the normal font folder.

When PlanMaker starts up now I get the following error message:

"The selected printer driver can display only one font." "Choose a different driver if you want to use more fonts"

When I load an XLS file that displayed correctly before my restore it now shows fonts in the page so small I can't read them w/ a magnifying glass. And yet it shows Vandana 11pt on the toolbar. If I click on the font dropdown to see the usual font selection it only shows 4 items:

normal
Device Font 10cpi
Device Font 12cpi
Device Font 17cpi

Any idea what's going on?

laffin_boy

Post subject: Re: Missing Fonts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:14 am 
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Sure. You should select a printer driver that supports TrueType fonts. It seems you chose "Generic/Text only". Go to File/Print and choose the driver that really represents your printer.

The reported behavior is correct: Your document is still formatted in Verdana, even though your printer driver doesn't know it. That's why it shows "Verdana" in the closed portion of the dropdown, but when you open it, it offers only the fonts your printer driver reports.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:29 am 

Hi martin, Thanks for answering.

Quote:
Sure. You should select a printer driver that supports TrueType fonts. It seems you chose "Generic/Text only". Go to File/Print and choose the driver that really represents your printer.

The reported behavior is correct: Your document is still formatted in Verdana, even though your printer driver doesn't know it. That's why it shows "Verdana" in the closed portion of the dropdown, but when you open it, it offers only the fonts your printer driver reports.

You appear to be saying that this behavior is by design which leaves me completely baffled. I have no intention or need to print the particular XLS file in question. I simply want to view & edit it in PM but both my experience and your reply suggest that this is not possible until I have a physical printer installed!

I did reinstall my printer (which only took 4 hrs - thank you HP!) and now PM shows this file normally again. But I haven't added any fonts at all. The Windows fonts that PM now shows were there all the time. Why do I have to install a printer so PM can see the Windows fonts?

And supposing I didn't have a printer at all - are you saying the SM Office only works for people who have printers??? If so why?

laffin_boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:53 pm 
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

All our applications (and Microsoft Office, btw) always format the document for the printer, even if it is shown on-screen. This ensures that text wraps on screen exactly as it does on the printer.

At least one printer ("Universal/Text only") is always installed when Windows is running. Unfortunately, that is exactly the one printer driver that cannot print any fonts. We do have a warning message when we find that printer as the active printer.

So, yes, you need to have at least one printer driver installed on your computer. If you don't even have a printer, just choose an HP LaserJet printer or Apple LaserWriter (because the related drivers don't check whether that printer is actually hooked up).