Installation in Windows 7 problem

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2008 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

HumboldtSteve

Installation in Windows 7 problem

Post by HumboldtSteve » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:43 pm

I installed Softmaker Office 2008 in Windows 7 (32 if that makes a difference) and it worked fine. Then the login name I was using developed problems, so I created a new one and wiped the old one out. After that, each and every time I bring up Textmaker, it says it was improperly installed and runs me through the personalization routine but it fails to save the information. I've tried deinstalling Office up to and including wiping out the directories in the "Program Files" and "Program Data" directories and manually removing every entry in the registry, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas how to get it to install properly?

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Installation in Windows 7 problem

Post by sven-l » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:33 am

Hello,

you need administrator rights to install/uninstall SoftMaker Office in Windows 7. Without admin rights you (usually) have not even write access to the "My documents"-folder where SoftMaker stores the personal information and settings.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

HumboldtSteve

Post by HumboldtSteve » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:10 am

I have admin rights and ran the install in Administrator Mode without any success.
sven-l wrote:Hello,

you need administrator rights to install/uninstall SoftMaker Office in Windows 7. Without admin rights you (usually) have not even write access to the "My documents"-folder where SoftMaker stores the personal information and settings.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:50 am

To work with a user with administrator rights in Windows Vista/7 is not the same as to work with administrator rights in Windows XP.
Even in case your user is "computer administrator", Windows 7 will not allow you to write in certain folders.
Please have a look at http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... dows_Vista

Maybe it helps if you enable the "true" Administrator account with the full access and if you install SoftMaker Office again using the Administrator account.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

HumboldtSteve

Post by HumboldtSteve » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:17 pm

Activated the Administrator account and tried the install using that account. No difference.

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:19 pm

Ok, thank you for the information. I tested it here with a fresh installed Windiows7 and could not reproduce this problem. I asked the developers and will inform you here as soon as I have more information.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

nigelmercier

Post by nigelmercier » Tue May 25, 2010 11:42 am

sven-l wrote: "My documents"-folder where SoftMaker stores the personal information and settings.
Arghhhh! Exactly what part of "My" is so hard for developers to understand. There is a dedicated folder for settings, why not use it?

The best way to install software in administrator mode is to right-click the setup program, and select "Run as Administrator"

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Tue May 25, 2010 11:45 am

nigelmercier wrote:
sven-l wrote: "My documents"-folder where SoftMaker stores the personal information and settings.
Arghhhh! Exactly what part of "My" is so hard for developers to understand. There is a dedicated folder for settings, why not use it?

The best way to install software in administrator mode is to right-click the setup program, and select "Run as Administrator"
1- Because the "recommended" folder is a hidden folder, and many people are therefore unable to navigate to it if they want.

2- Because we also offer versions for other operating systems, and it is super easy to simply synchronize the My Documents folder with a Pocket PC or Windows CE device for example, thereby having the same documents _and_ settings on both.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2008 for Windows”