English - Canada

Post bug reports and suggestions for TextMaker 2008 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Reel Jemm

English - Canada

Post by Reel Jemm » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:13 pm

There are significant differences between U.S./UK/Canadian english. At one time, TM included a separate dictionary/thesaurus for English (Canada). I don't see it any more - did I miss something during the installation or was the Canadian English dictionary discontinued. TIA in advance for your help. Have a nice day.
Uncle Ben

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: English - Canada

Post by sven-l » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:51 am

Hello,

TextMaker offers the following languages for spell checking:

English US, English UK, German, German (reformed), Swiss-German, Swiss-German (reformed), French, French (Canada), Italian, Spanish, Spanish (Latin America), Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazil), Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian

There are no English (Canada) dictionary available but English US, English UK and French (Canada). To install the desired dictionaries just start the setup, choose the custom installation and check the dictionaries you need.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:08 am

We never offered specific Canadian English spell-checking. You probably confused this with Canadian French, which we offer as separate tools from European French.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Reel Jemm

Post by Reel Jemm » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:13 pm

Thank you both for the prompt reply - I even thought I had had a discussion with you Martin on that very topic, a couple of years ago... But I am obviously wrong. Have a nice day.
Uncle Ben

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:55 pm

Hi Folks,

Just to be clear, there are Canadian English dictionaries... just not with this. Martin, it might be an idea to consider this. Although I don't tend to rely on the dictionaries, it does help to have the added backup, and given that this is a suite that University students can afford... there is a market there.

Cheers
Cheers
Jim

Reel Jemm

Post by Reel Jemm » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:29 pm

Yes Jim, I know, hence the reason I was asking. Indeed, I think there is as much difference betwen Canadian English and it's US/UK sibblings as there is between the various French dictionaries. But that being said, TM offers a hell of a lot as it is, so I'm not complaining.

I don't rely on dictionaries either although admittedly, they become very useful to catch typos, which are so easy to miss when you're proofreading your own work. This is why I usually get my wife to proofread my work. :lol:

Any way, enough said, I'm babbling again... it comes with age! :P

Cheers!
Uncle Ben

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:32 pm

Hi Ben,

As a fellow Canadian, my remarks were less for you and more for a gentle prodding of Sven... who has graciously heard our "call" ;)
Cheers
Jim

Reel Jemm

Post by Reel Jemm » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:05 pm

Got ya, as Sarah would say, with a wink! :P
Uncle Ben

Reel Jemm

Post by Reel Jemm » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Is there a Canadian English language pack included in the latest version of SM Office?
Uncle Ben

Reel Jemm

Post by Reel Jemm » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:57 pm

As a follow-up to my earlier post, here is a link that explains the differences between Canadian, British and American lexicons.

http://encycl.opentopia.com/term/Canadian_English

You do have a separate language pack for Canadian French, and rightfully so because there are significant differences; but I would submit that the diffrences between Canadian English and other English lexicons are just as many; hence, why not include a separate lexicon for Canadian English?
Uncle Ben

Philip-J

Post by Philip-J » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:47 pm

Hello Ben,

we will forward your suggestion for improvement to our developers.
Philip Jedamzik
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2008 for Windows”