Not PowerPoint Compatible

Post bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Presentations 2008 for Windows.

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

john smithy

Not PowerPoint Compatible

Postby john smithy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:31 am

Despite what they say, Presentations 2008 is not fully compatible with PowerPoint. That is, you cannot expect it to do everything that PowerPoint will do. In particular, it will not open Japanese PowerPoint files with the original formatting and fonts. A pity -- because there are a lot of Japanese companies doing presentations.

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Not PowerPoint Compatible

Postby martin-k » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:48 am

If this is so, we'd like to fix it.

Can you please send one or more such files to forum (at) softmaker.de, referring to this thread? Also, if you know, please indicate which version of PowerPoint these files were created with.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

john smithy

Postby john smithy » Wed May 28, 2008 2:42 pm

Yes, I could send you original Japanese PowerPoint files. But unfortunately the ones I have are used for business purposes and are confidential. I suggest you get a copy of Japanese MS Office and Japanese Windows XP and make some yourself and test it.

The fact that you need ME to send you powerpoint files indicates that you have actually tested this yourself with the usual Japanese XP OS and Office 2007/ 2003 J.

In my case, I tried PresentationMaker 2008 on Japanese XP (SP2 & SP3) using both English and Japanese Unicode settings. The result was the same.

john smithy

Postby john smithy » Thu May 29, 2008 8:04 am

I should mention that I tried opening the same files using Google. No luck!
PresentationMaker will open standard Japanese ppt files found in a google search. No problem there.
The problem is with ppt files sent me for revision in both English and Japanese. The layouts are lost in PresentationMaker (and Google). They are fine in MS Powerpoint.
In other words, you can see the text boxes overlapping each other and the font sizes all wrong.

Return to “SoftMaker Presentations 2008 for Windows”