Support for Google Android mobile device operating system

Talk about miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off-topic discussions encouraged.
JSR

Re: Support for Google Android mobile device operating syste

Post by JSR »

I wouldn't have asked if I'd not found that site that had converted many Android .apk apps to Blackberry .bar files.

If it could be done with all those apps without having to rework them from scratch, I just thought it might be a way for Softmaker to tap another market.

Softmaker always used to be the "cross-platform" choice of office software. I still run Softmaker Office on my old Jornada 720. I guess I should be thankful that Softmaker didn't consider that market to small to bother with.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

Java apps convert quite nicely to Playbook, but Playbook does not run native (C++) apps, and SoftMaker Office Mobile is a native application.

Frankly, the attractive prices that you are seeing for Playbook indicate that RIM is trying to clear stock. This is not a good omen for software developers evaluating the platform.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
JSR

Post by JSR »

martin-k wrote:Frankly, the attractive prices that you are seeing for Playbook indicate that RIM is trying to clear stock. This is not a good omen for software developers evaluating the platform.
I'm not sure how that changes the fact that there are now over two million PlayBook owners - far more people in the position of buying apps than there were just six months ago.

But if Softmaker can't be easily converted, then it's a non-starter as you say. I'll just go back to using .doc and .xls files by default.

Return to “Water Cooler”