iPhone sales are estimated to reach 10 millions soon

Talk about miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off-topic discussions encouraged.
erika

Re: iPhone sales are estimated to reach 10 millions soon

Post by erika »

I had to claim the SoftMaker management as visionless or spotless. Look... I had posted my first entry in 2004.

They had preferred to develop for WinMo instead of iPhone. :) :) What a decision!!!

You could have made a fortune out of it. But you missed it unluckily...

Hope you make some money with Android... All the best...
erika

Post by erika »

Hello,

I still believe you have addressable market share for the iOS client if you make your SoftMaker work with Google Apps.

Same reasons for the Android client.

Hope you have some profitable business.

In 2012, %30 percent of businesses are planning to buy iPad instead of Laptops for the Enterprise. Does that make sense? Cheers.
patrickwest

Post by patrickwest »

I was just watching the release video for the iPad Mini.

I have a Lenovo A1 android tablet. I have Softmaker Office 2012 for Android and Windows.

Softmaker Office 2010 for Mobile Windows, Windows and Linux.

Softmaker Office 2002? or 2006, can recall, for Windows CE.

While I won't be buying a iPad Mini today, or likely this year, however I will purchase one in time.

I have an iPhone and my wife uses the iPad. I found if I was going to carry something that big I'd rather use my Netbook. I have and did use for sometime a Viewsonic V212 WindowsCE tablet, with Softmaker Office.

I have found the A1 to be a good size for me but I am not otherwise impressed with the Android platform.

So folks, please, Softmaker Office for iOS, please.
Patrick West
JSR

Post by JSR »

I've used Softmaker Office since my old H/PC Jornada 720 (which still works).

Today, I have an iPad (first gen), iPod Touch (2nd gen), 7" tablet (Android 4), and I've just replaced my ageing Android phone with a 4.3" model (Android 4).

While it would be nice to have Softmaker for my Apple devices, I'm a little less enthusiastic than I used to be. Spending a small fortune on Apple devices only for Apple to stop supporting them with the new OS when I've had the item for less than 2 years is something that made me veer back towards Android. Samsung did the same thing with my previous phone, which they left on Android 2.1 for the whole of my contract, and that was incredibly annoying.

In the 18 months since I bought my iPad direct from Apple, Apple have replaced it not once, not twice, but three times! If I'd been trying to keep up with that, I'd be mega-bankrupt by now.

Today, I figure that if the manufacturers are going to abandon those who don't purchase the new item every 6-12 months, then I want to be spending as little as possible on my phones and tablets. My current tablet is a 7" refurb off eBay which cost £40. I'm less bothered about having to replace that in 1-2 years time than I am about my £300 iPad.

I may, in the near future, replace my iPod Touch - but this is only through fear of losing access to all of those AppStore apps and iTunes music that I've bought and paid for. The more time moves on, the less I'll be able to run on my iPad and iPod Touch. I need to have something unless I'm going to throwaway all of those apps and music. Being trapped into an expensive platform is not a comfortable feeling.

At least with Android, it's possible to seek out the cheapest item on which to use your software. It's cheaper to replace older gadgets for the same reason.

I have a cheap "keyboard and case" that cost me £7 to go with my £40 Android tablet, so I can instantly turn that into a word-processing netbook with the aid of Softmaker. The battery on this tablet may not be the last word compared to an Apple device, but that's really the only downside for this kind of scenario.

When I first bought my iPad (when it was still the current product), I would very much have liked an iOS version of Softmaker Office. However, given the cost of replacing these devices once they've been abandoned, I'm rather pleased that the Softmaker guys went with the Android platform instead.

I don't post this as some kind of iOS vs Android sparring match, only to acknowledge that I was very much in favour of an iOS version of Softmaker Office two years ago, but I'm less enthusiastic about it now.
pmfrench

Post by pmfrench »

I've followed this thread for years. I don't know how many times I heard "There's an app for that" from Apple marketing, and then I'd check in here to find Apple users pleading for SoftMaker to produce a version that would run on their hardware. There's a disconnect there somewhere.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Well, Apple of course tries to promote its own Pages app, which is about the only halfway decent word processor for iOS. I don't say Pages is a bad app, but its philosophy is so different from what we are used to in word processor gui's that it is not so easy to adjust to. TextMaker offers more possibilities - and SoftMaker's MS Office compatibility is way better, too.
bjoraker

Post by bjoraker »

Well,
I have an iphone and iPad and have since the beginning. Won't be switching to android and have stopped using or upgrading your software since i stopped using windows mobile phones. Sorry to see your lack of interest in the platform.
patrickwest

Post by patrickwest »

Folks,

It is 2013, so I was wondering if there had been any movement on an iOS version?

I have and use Softmaker Office 2012 on my Desktop and Netbook.

I also have Softmaker Office 2012 for Android, and older versions of Softmaker Office for Mobile Windows aka Pocket PC, and for WindowsCE.

While I am using a Lenovo A1 tablet, running ICS, I am less then thrilled with it. I plan to, budget permitting so likely 9 to 10 months from now, switch to the iPadMini. My wife uses an iPad currently and we both use iPhone4.
Patrick West
sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l »

There are no news yet regarding the iOS version of SoftMaker Office. The developers were very busy with the Android version. We will inform you as soon as there are any news.
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH
habermas

Post by habermas »

FWIW I've been a SoftMaker customer since 2003 but the product is becoming increasingly irrelevant to me sadly. When I first bought the product I used a Compaq iPAQ h5450 running some version of Pocket PC, which I later 'upgraded' to an iPAQ h1945 running some version of Windows Mobile.

I've long since migrated from Windows to Mac on the desktop and from Windows Mobile to iOS as my mobile operating system of choice. I currently use an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2. With the latter I use an external keyboard to achieve document editing functionalities. I'm currently using Apple's Pages for iOS to edit and review documents on the iPad using my keyboard but I'd much rather have access to the advanced and familiar interface of SoftMaker Office.

Despite not really using the Windows environment anymore I still have access to it in peripheral situations, which is why I bought a discounted upgrade version of the SoftMaker Office suite. I really like its light weight, super loading times and ability to open and save documents compatible with MS Office 20$$. However, I can't use the software on a daily basis as it is not available on any of the platforms relevant to me.

If I could have access to SoftMaker Office on OS/X and iOS I would not hesitate to spend >80€ on these products. Keep in mind I've been coming back to this website at regular intervals for a DECADE OF MY LIFE and have been disappointed each time. I've even been recommending your product for inclusion in reviews on tech websites relevant for Windows users as an alternative to MS Office 20$$. Talk about a loyal yet rather disillusioned customer...

Return to “Water Cooler”