Equation Editor, Please!

Talk about miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off-topic discussions encouraged.
Wendellp

Equation Editor, Please!

Post by Wendellp »

Textmaker is a great program. It's a lot nicer to use than OpenOffice. I'd love to use it on my Win98, Linux, and HPC machines, but I must have equations. Can you give us any idea when that feature will be added?

Cheers,
Wendell
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

Creating an English translation of our Equation Editor is still on the to-do list but be forewarned that this is a Windows-only program (licensed from the same company that did the equation editor for Microsoft Word).
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Wendellp

MathType and Unicode

Post by Wendellp »

I am familiar with MathType and have spoken to Design Science about their products. MathType 5.1 does not support Unicode and they don't intend to add Unicode support to future versions. Does that mean we will not be able to use Unicode on Textmaker documents with equations?

This is a big issue, because soon the STIX font will be available. I'm sure that anyone with a Unicode compatible word processor will want to use STIX for both the text and equations.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

I am aware of the STIX fonts project.

I don't think our current equation editor is a long-term solution for us, but we have so many subprojects re: SoftMaker Office on the table that it will be some time before we can think about a new equation editor.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Wendellp

MathType Works

Post by Wendellp »

I just downloaded the free version of MathType. It works fine with both Textmaker 2002 and the 2005 beta. If you would post instructions on how to use MathType with Textmaker, that should solve the problem for most people...at least, among those working in Windows.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

What free version did you find? Their web site only shows me trial versions and players.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Wendellp

Post by Wendellp »

Get the trial version of MathType. If you don't register it, it will continue to operate in "Lite" mode. That is good enough for most things.

I have been trying it out with both TM '02 and '05. It works great with '02 but there are some problems with the '05 beta.

The only thing that doesn't work is on the Objects control strip, the Equation Writer button doesn't become active.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

Thank you for the update. If you have trouble with it in connection with the TM2005 beta, please post them in our beta forum.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “Water Cooler”