Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) Reveals Office Mobile in Spring

Talk about miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Off-topic discussions encouraged.
erika

Post by erika »

Great competition is coming. fyi

http://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/micro ... ing-27970/
JSR

Re: Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) Reveals Office Mobile in Sp

Post by JSR »

While there is mention for iOS in the article, there's no mention of Android.

Logically, this would primarily be a Windows 8/RT app, given that iOS already has Pages/Numbers/Keynote, and Android has the likes of Softmaker Office and others. What does Windows Phone 8 have right now?
The user would have full viewing capability with the app, but would need an Office 365 subscription in order to enable editing functions. The app would also allow basic editing but will not replace a standard full desktop version.
To do anything more than view would require a pay-every-month subscription, and then you only get "basic editing"? Also, isn't Office365 a cloud solution? If so, that's another negative. I'd like to work on my documents regardless of whether I have an internet connection.

By comparison Softmaker Office for Android is (i) a single one-off payment, (ii) provides very nearly the full desktop experience, and (iii) is not reliant on an internet connection.

Doesn't seem much like "great competition" to me... :D It seems more like Office 365 is Microsoft's way of competing with Google Docs.

Return to “Water Cooler”