"Compress" button makes images bigger

Ar-Paramir

"Compress" button makes images bigger

Post by Ar-Paramir »

I tried a new Office NX function of compressing pictures and the result was a bit surprising. I prepared a big presentation that contained 49 implemented photos of different size, mostly from a smartphone camera, approximately 4-6 Mb per file. The PRDX file had grown huge and I used the compressor selectively (right click - "Compress..." button), reducing the ppi where necessary and as much as necessary. Suddenly I realized that after these manipulations the file became only bigger. That looked weird for me, so I opened the PRDX file as an archive, looked into a "ppt/media" folder and saw that all the files that I compressed turned into PNG. Indeed, their dimensions reduced as expected, but due to the format the size became bigger.

For instance, I inserted a photo in JPEG format, 4208x3120, 220 ppi, 4.4 Mb. After "compressing" it turned to 2185x1650, 150 ppi and... 5.1 Mb! Just because JPEG vs. PNG.

Let me say a big thank you for these buttons - Compress and Compress All. The idea is wonderful. But the result is not quite what was expected. As I see in the help reference, it is aimed to "reduce the file size of the document and save capacity on your device or when sharing the document". But in fact it does the opposite thing if you import JPEG images.

There is a similar function in "Export as PDF" dialog that offers a choice between a lossless compression and JPEG with selectable level of quality. It would be great if you add the similar functionality to the Compress dialog as well. I'd say that the explanations of different ppi in the Compress dialog are wonderful, clear and informative. Just please, add the choice between different output formats for the compressed images, and it will be perfect!

Another possible option is to leave the dialog box as is, but to compress the images into WEBP format instead of PNG. As a result it will reduce the size, preserving a good/acceptable quality.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: "Compress" button makes images bigger

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for posting this problem. Please share the file in which you are facing this problem.

If your file is bigger, you can upload it on any cloud and share the link.

If your file is private, please send it to forum[at]softmaker.com with the link of this post.

Return to “Presentations NX and 2024 for Linux”