TextMaker not barrier-free: How to stop the blinking cursor?

temprano

TextMaker not barrier-free: How to stop the blinking cursor?

Post by temprano »

Dear ladies and gentlemen,

as an editor using libreoffice on linux and word on windows, I recently heared many good things about your software TextMaker. Thus I decided to migrate. But immediately after startup of TextMaker, a barrier becomes visible: the blinking cursor.

For twenty years I succeeded in switching off any blinking cursor: under linux and windows, in word, libreoffice, in several text and code editors and in terminals for system administration. But not in TextMaker. In the latest version for linux I found no switch to stop the blinking cursor.

I understand the general purpose of a blinking text cursor. But for me personally this is a barrier: I am not able to filter out the blinking but perceive it all the time. A habituation does not happen. The result: My concentration is disturbed.

Humans with an impaired ability to filter out sensory input are not a rare species. A web search for "blinking AND cursor" yields for numerous apps detailed tutorials how to stop the blinking cursor. I am very grateful for these tutorials.

In a nutshell: TextMaker is not barrier-free for me.

Thus I would like to ask you: Could you provide a tip how to stop the blinking cursor?

And if a switch for the blinking cursor does currently not exist: Perhaps it may be easy for softmaker's development team to implement such a switch? This would be very helpful for persons with impaired sensory filter.

I am looking forward to your response
Temprano
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: TextMaker not barrier-free: How to stop the blinking cursor?

Post by SuperTech »

Thank you for posting your problem. Disabling or making any change in blinking text cursor is operating system level settings. So, please check your operating system settings and that will be implemented in TextMaker also.
lgsl

Post by lgsl »

I think what he mans is that he would like an option to make the block/bar/text cursor steady instead of blinking. Some applications like Terminology allow you to do such thing.
temprano

Post by temprano »

Thank you SuperTech for your reply.

My operation system is OpenSuse Leap with Gnome as desktop environment. In Gnome I switched off the cursor blinking through the menu

Code: Select all

Settings > Accessibility > Text input
Following a recommendation of Jurta https://jurta.org/en/prog/noblink, settings.ini files for gtk-3 and gtk-4 have been configured with the entry:

Code: Select all

gtk-cursor-blink = 0
For apps not integrated in Gnome but for example in KDE/QT, the cursor blinking has been switched off in separate config menus/files.

These are my settings on OS level now. The result: In all apps the text cursors are visually quiet. With one exception: TextMaker.

Thus the clarification of the following points may lead to a solution:
  • Why does TextMaker not respect settings which other apps respect?
  • Would this be different in another desktop environment, e.g. KDE or Xfce?
  • Would this be different under Windows?
Regards
Temprano
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thank you for sharing additional information. I am able to reproduce this problem and forwarded the details to our developer team.

Yes, on Windows, this issue is not there.
temprano

Post by temprano »

@SuperTech:

Many thanks for forwarding this to SoftMaker's development team and for sharing your observation that the TextMaker cursor under MS Windows respects OS settings.

This is encouraging.

Regards
Temprano

Return to “TextMaker NX and 2024 for Linux”