Working with Comments in TextMaker

Ar-Paramir

Working with Comments in TextMaker

Post by Ar-Paramir »

Hi, working with the previous version of SM Office I encountered with the situation when you add a comment to a text inside a table and instead of highlighting the commented fragment, the whole cell is highlighted, and the pointer leads to the corner of the table instead of the commented fragment. That's how you'd expect it to work (a LibreOffice sample):
1.png
That's how exactly the same composition of table, text and comments look in the TextMaker:
2.png
You cannot see what comment is related to what piece of the text. If you switch off "Show in the pane" mode on the "Review" tab, the situation gets much worse. The whole cell is still highlighted, and wherever you hover the mouse, you see a popup notification for the very first comment only, so all the other comments are completely invisible:
3.png
I opened a ticked regarding this situation as an "Improvement suggestion" about half a year ago, and receiver the reply from the SoftMaker team:
Thank you for your feedback, we are aware of this and plan to implement it in the next major upgrade of SoftMaker Office.
But now the next major upgrade has arrived and the comments issue is still where it was in the SM Office 2021. :cry:

By the way, taking the opportunity. Sadly, the comments function is very limited in SM Office in general. You can only insert, edit or delete a single comment. LibreOffice offers much bigger number of options:
  • Unresolve
  • Resolve Thread
  • Unresolve Thread
  • Delete Comment
  • Delete Comment Thread
  • Delete All Comments by [author]
  • Delete All Comments
  • Format All Comments
The difference in a user experience can be quite impressive when you have a document with 100 comments of a certain author that you need to delete, and it requires 1 click in LO and 100 clicks in TM. :? Now the latest SM Office has a "Finalize" button that allows to delete all comments, so technically this functionality is almost there, probably it would be not so hart for the team to introduce these improvements by adding several new buttons to the "Comments" section of the interface, to significantly enrich the usability and make the work of editors, scholars etc much more comfortable.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Working with Comments in TextMaker

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for your post. I have forwarded this improvement suggestion.
dithomasso

Re: Working with Comments in TextMaker

Post by dithomasso »

I totally agree. I really like textmaker, but the limited comment options--and therefore less-than-ideal compatibility with microsoft office documents when there are many comments and replies--keeps forcing me to use other software.

Return to “TextMaker NX and 2024 for Linux”