Very slow document loading

ubergeek72@gmail.com

Very slow document loading

Post by ubergeek72@gmail.com »

Hi. I'm using TextMaker 2024 for Linux. It's been uniformly good except for one small issue.

I write novels, so I'm going to routinely throw documents between 50,000 words and 100,000 words at TextMaker, often with comments and tracked changes. These are stored in docx, as generated by other software. (I actually write in markdown. TextMaker is for when I have to share documents with others, like my editor.) Once the documents are loaded, response times seem fine, unlike LibreOffice Writer, but they do take quite a long time to load.

Here's the snippet from tmlog.txt, showing a document taking nearly 40 seconds to load, on a core i7 4790k from an ssd.

[ 11361ms][ 9985ms]: LoadDocument </home/jim/Dropbox/Poltergeist_Stories/p2-Dead_of_Winter/et-edits_Dead_Of_Winter-DOCX.baked.docx>
[ 11367ms][ 6ms]: ReadDocument </home/jim/Dropbox/Poltergeist_Stories/p2-Dead_of_Winter/et-edits_Dead_Of_Winter-DOCX.baked.docx>
[ 48428ms][ 37061ms]: ReadDocument End

This file is 457kib. I haven't seen word processor load times like this since the 1980s. There's nothing else in the log that pertains to the file load. It doesn't appear to be an openGL matter, since I get the same load times whether I have openGL and openGL autoshapes set or not.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Very slow document loading

Post by SuperTech »

Thank you for reporting this issue. Are you facing this problem in this specific file or with other files also?

How's is your overall system performance, are you facing slow loading issue with other software also?
ubergeek72@gmail.com

Overall system performance is pretty good. As an example, creating the docx file with pandoc from the markdown takes a few seconds. Interestingly, the new docx opens in TextMaker in a second or two. It must be the comments that are slowing things down. There are hundreds.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thank you for the information. Please share any document in which you are facing this problem and tmlog.txt for that document so that we can investigate this problem.

If your file is private, please send it to forum[at]softmaker.com with the link of this post.
ubergeek72@gmail.com

File sent. I wanted to get the book in print before letting drafts of it out of my sight.

-JRS
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thank you for sharing the file, but the file opened fast. Please share your tmlog.txt file so that we can diagnose this issue.

Return to “TextMaker NX and 2024 for Linux”