When OpenGL engine is enabled, dialog boxes do not get rendered unless unfocused or hovered

Post here topics for SoftMaker Office NX and 2024 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
mr_richards

When OpenGL engine is enabled, dialog boxes do not get rendered unless unfocused or hovered

Post by mr_richards »

Hello! Currently I am observing an issue where dialog boxes appear as black screen until it either gets unfocused or mouse is hovered as seen here.

Disabling OpenGL mode resolves this issue. I tried it on X11 and it seems to be OK so that's also something interesting to report on

Some technical info:
Distro: Kubuntu 22.04
GPU: Intel + Nvidia hybrid
Renderer: Wayland
Compositor: Kwin
Desktop environment: KDE 5.27.10
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: When OpenGL engine is enabled, dialog boxes do not get rendered unless unfocused or hovered

Post by SuperTech »

Thank you for posting your problem with the screenshot. As disabling OpenGL resolves your problem, there is an issue with your graphics driver etc.

Please reinstall your graphics driver with the latest one.
lgsl

Re: When OpenGL engine is enabled, dialog boxes do not get rendered unless unfocused or hovered

Post by lgsl »

The issue is simply is the combination of Wayland and Nvidia.

Wayland per se is a bit of a mess, since it delegates lots and lots of stuff X11 did to the compositors and toolkits. This is why after 10 years Wayland is not yet and will not be for at least 5 or 10 more years the default. KDE's wayland support is still in a beta status. It is supposed to be fully stable and the new default for KDE Plasma 6, but that's still month or month and half away. With KDE Plasma 5, wayland is full of paper cuts, like that one.

Then there is the whole Nvidia drama. Nvidia does not play nice with wayland. That has been known for a long time and is one of the reasons why Gnome still keeps X11 support. Is I where you I would stay on X11 as long as I would be able, specially when it involves to NVIDIA hardware.

You could, as SuperTech says check you are running the latest nvidia driver. That could help, or simply switch to X11.

Return to “SoftMaker Office NX and 2024 for Linux (General)”