GTK3 file picker settings option

Post here topics for SoftMaker Office NX and 2024 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
bombadillo

GTK3 file picker settings option

Post by bombadillo »

Hi SoftMaker team,
I recently installed SoftMaker Office 2024 on a Linux Mint computer and was happy to see it used the GTK3 file picker dialog, which integrates much better with the system. However, when using it on another Linux distro with a tiling window manager, I saw it fell back to using the old file picker dialog. I was only able to make SM Office use the GTK3 file picker dialog by setting the XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP environment variable to gnome.
Would you be able to add a settings option to enable the GTK3 file picker dialog on other desktops or window managers, and possibly enable it by default on Linux?
lgsl

Re: GTK3 file picker settings option

Post by lgsl »

I think is a terrible idea. You are amusing all people use and like GTK. There are plenty of people who do not. KDE users, for example, do not need a GTK portal, nor are accustomed to GTK file picker dialogs so why force it on them? And what if they do not even have any need of GTK at all?

Setting a environment setting is just a tiny annoyance compared to having to suddenly depend on the GTK portal and GTK toolkit just to please a few people. Not to mention it would annoy those who just happen to hate GTK dialogs.

When you use a window manager you must be keep in mind it just does that: manages windows. Everything else is up to the user. Desktops, on the other hand, set this kind of stuff for you accordingly to the toolkit they use.

Return to “SoftMaker Office NX and 2024 for Linux (General)”