Latest update

Woody44

Latest update

Post by Woody44 »

I just read the e-mail announcing the most recent service pack for SoftMaker Office. One of the updated features is "Kindle-compatible EPUB export."

Can you please explain what this means? TextMaker already exports to the EPUB format -- better than LibreOffice. But Amazon doesn't use the EPUB format for Kindle books, they use their own file format. So how does this service pack affect exporting for Kindle, and does trying to make EPUB work on a platform that doesn't support it make the EPUB exports less usable for all the other e-book platforms that DO use the EPUB format? (Apple Books, Kobo, Nook, etc.)
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Latest update

Post by martin-k »

If you follow the link in the newsletter, the landing page will tell you:

"TextMaker now creates EPUB files that the Amazon program KindleGen can convert into Amazon-compatible e-books."
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Thanks, Martin, but TextMaker has exported to EPUB since at least the 2018 version. And Amazon KDP has accepted EPUB files for as long as I can remember (which, for KDP, isn't all that long.) Hence my curiosity about why the special announcement? Does the update mean that there's now something different about TextMaker's EPUB exports, compared to what they were previously?
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Yes, now EPUB is improved and it's more Amazon compatible.

Return to “TextMaker NX and 2024 for Windows”