How to enable OpenType options?

Woody44

How to enable OpenType options?

Post by Woody44 »

I have been spending some time on the web site and forum of German typography guru Ralf Herrmann. He frequently mentions that some advanced typesetting features, such as ligatures, are available in OpenType fonts but not in TrueType, and that to be able to use the advanced features in OpenType they must be turned on.

Looking through the user manual for TextMaker, I don't see any discussion of how to enable ligatures, or of how to turn on advanced OpenType features.

Am I missing something, or is this something that Softmaker needs to add in the next release of Textmaker?
Woody44

Re: How to enable OpenType options?

Post by Woody44 »

Another -- related -- feature request. More and more fonts are becoming available in OpenType as well as (or instead of) TrueType. I don't know much about the technical aspects of typography, but it is my understanding that Open Type offers some features that TrueType fonts don't/can't offer. Is it possible to add some way in the drop-down font selection menu within TextMaker to denote which fonts are TrueType and which fonts are OpenType?
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Unfortunately, TextMaker still does not support advanced OpenType features. This has been my foremost request for years.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Well, add me to the list of users who request this feature.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thank you for your post. I have forwarded this improvement suggestion.
malysek

Post by malysek »

Jossi wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:01 pm Unfortunately, TextMaker still does not support advanced OpenType features. This has been my foremost request for years.
Fundamentally, this option is missing. I had this question at least a year ago, more like two years ago. And nothing.

Return to “TextMaker NX and 2024 for Windows”