Paste Without Formatting

FoulFoot

Paste Without Formatting

Post by FoulFoot »

As the subject says. Drives me bonkers, as I need to copy/paste text into a .txt document first and then a second copy/paste into Textmaker.

Foul
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Paste Without Formatting

Post by Jossi »

How do you proceed? If you use Ctrl+V or the "Paste" command, only formatted text will be pasted. To paste without formatting, you should use the "Paste special" command (Alt+Shift+V) instead. (Ribbon interface: click the black triangle beneath the far left icon in the "Home" ribbon; classic menu: go to Edit > Paste special). You may also define a keyboard shortcut for pasting plain text (Tools > Customise; type "Paste plain text" in the search field, then define any shortcut you want).
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

In the classic interface, use CTRL-C to copy. To paste unformatted text, go to Edit > Paste Special > Unformatted text.

There is already a keyboard shortcut assigned to this: ALT+CTRL+V
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Yes, but Alt+Ctrl+V opens the "Paste special" dialog where you have to select "Unformatted text" first before pasting. With a self-defined keyboard shortcut for "Paste plain text" pasting as text can be done without an additional dialog.
Devonboy78

Post by Devonboy78 »

I'm using Office 2024 NX and tonight I found I could not paste unformatted text,
either using Alt + Ctrl + V and selecting Unformatted text and using ANY of the 3 paste modes
or by using the ribbon command Paste unformatted text.
Every time the original formatting is replicated.
I tried adding Paste Plain Text to the ribbon and that made everything in the pasted text bold instead of only two words bold. I then tried copying three words, the first word unformatted , the second word Bold and Unerlined and the third word bold and Italics. Using the ribbon command Paste Plain Text -result All three words Bold, underline in second word removed
I finally found that the way to get unformatted text pasted is to ensure that all formatting must be turned OFF at the point of insertion before pasting as plain text otherwise whatever formatting button/buttons are selected will be applied to the pasted text.
Finally I closed Textmaker 2024 NX and opened Textmaker 2021. I could paste formatted text as plain text so I restarted Textmaker 2024 NX and now found it's working fine, pasting unformatted text regardless of what the original formatting was UNLESS you paste into the middle of a formatted word whereupon the pasted text adopts the formatting of the word into which it was pasted.
Hook

Post by Hook »

Devonboy78 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:52 pm I restarted Textmaker 2024 NX and now found it's working fine, pasting unformatted text regardless of what the original formatting was UNLESS you paste into the middle of a formatted word whereupon the pasted text adopts the formatting of the word into which it was pasted.
I don't know about the other problems you mentioned, but this last thing is expected behavior for pasting unformatted text. "Pasting unformatted text" only promises the the text will be pasted without previous formatting. It will adopt the default formatting of whatever it is pasted into. If it is just pasted into a blank document, it will adopt the formatting of the default template, whether "normal" or whatever template you have created. If you paste into an additionally formated section or string, it will adopt that formatting. If your default template uses New Times Roman 10pt type, pasting unformatted text will give you text in New Times Roman 10pt type.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as unformatted text in TextMaker. Text always has formatting (font, style, size). "Paste as unformatted text" means that the pasted text will take the formatting of the place it is pasted into, while "Paste as formatted text" means it will keep the formatting it had before in its original place.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Also, if you select any text and then press CTRL+0 it will reset its formatting (the command is also available under the classic menu Format > Standard)
FoulFoot

Post by FoulFoot »

I'm the OP; haven't checked this forum in a few months.

Thanks for the suggestions on using the Paste menu or Alt-Ctrl-V; I hadn't seen those. I guess what I was driving at was to include "Paste as Unformatted Text" on the right-click menu, as MS Word does.

Foul
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

FoulFoot wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:03 pm Thanks for the suggestions on using the Paste menu or Alt-Ctrl-V; I hadn't seen those. I guess what I was driving at was to include "Paste as Unformatted Text" on the right-click menu, as MS Word does.
I used Word for 25 years. I've never seen that available as a right-click option.
FoulFoot

Post by FoulFoot »

Then I guess you haven't actually used Word for 25 years. I have installed alongside Textmaker and the option is right there.

Foul

Return to “TextMaker NX and 2024 for Windows”