Upgrade from Office Standard 2021

Post here topics for SoftMaker Office NX and 2024 for Windows that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
ChalkyW64

Upgrade from Office Standard 2021

Post by ChalkyW64 »

I have been a VERY happy Office Standard 2021 user ever since I discovered SoftMaker Office, and today received an email notifying me of the release of Office 2024.

Since I don't need the extra NX functionality (ChatGTP, translations, etc.) I was intending on upgrading to Office Standard 2024. However, it seems I can only purchase this at full price - the only 'upgrade' option being to Office Professional 2024, which also contains functionality I will never use or need (German spell/grammar checking, Zotero integration, EPUB format, Administration etc.).

Am I correct that if I want to upgrade my perpetual license from Office Standard 2021 to 2024 I am forced to do so via the purchase of Office Professional 2024?
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Upgrade from Office Standard 2021

Post by miguel-c »

You can upgrade to SoftMaker Office 2024 Pro, no problem
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

Here is also an answer from the german forum: https://forum.softmaker.de/viewtopic.php?f=432&t=34461
martin-k wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:32 pm Nein, Sie müssen nicht neu kaufen, sondern können das Upgrade auf Professional bestellen.
Das Upgrade auf Standard war gerade mal 10 Euro billiger als das Upgrade auf Professional; daher haben wir uns diese Version gespart.
Translation:
No, you don't have to buy new, you can order the upgrade to Professional.
The upgrade to Standard was just 10 Euro cheaper than the upgrade to Professional; therefore we skipped this version.
ChalkyW64

Post by ChalkyW64 »

Ok thanks. So basically there is no upgrade path from Office Standard 2021 to Office Standard 2024 - only Office Standard 2021 to Office Professional 2024.
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

Yes, that's right.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Another incomprehensible marketing decision by SoftMaker.
The upgrade to Standard was just 10 Euro cheaper than the upgrade to Professional; therefore we skipped this version.
In other words, SoftMaker has decided on behalf of its customer base that saving 17% on the upgrade isn't worth considering. That's condescending. That 17% might be the difference between upgrading or not upgrading to some people.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

No, it is a business decision to decide which products to offer.

A sale requires a meeting of the minds. If either party does not offer what the other side wants (a product, a certain amount of money) then the sale does not happen and the parties will have to live with the consequences.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
fuzzyface

Post by fuzzyface »

With that response it'll be my purchase decision not to give you an extra 10 Euros for functions I don't want, or indeed any money.
I'll use the current version I have until it stops working and then switch to a cheaper alternative product and live with the consequences!
ChalkyW64

Post by ChalkyW64 »

Whilst I realise that it is not my place to criticise SoftMaker on their business decisions, I would just like to say that I consider the lack of an upgrade path from standard version to standard version to be very disappointing.

Regardless of the difference in price involved, 'forcing' users who want to upgrade to pay for the professional version may not always have the intended result. Interestingly, the SoftMaker website states: If you purchase SoftMaker Office 2024, you can use this version as long as you want. Future upgrades may be purchased at a discount. It could be suggested that this is a little misleading, as it omits the fact that future discounts are only available when upgrading to the professional version.

I for one won't be upgrading - partly because I don't wish to pay for functionailty I will never use, but also due to the aggressive and arrogant tone used in SoftMaker's post in this thread.

I have always regarded SoftMaker Office as a brilliant product - and recommended it to many people - but there are alternatives, and some of them are free.
Karl45

Post by Karl45 »

Count me in among the disappointed that there is no upgrade path from standard 2021 to standard 2024.

It's more than the cost difference; like others have said I don't need or would ever use most of the available features exclusive to pro edition.

It's all the more perplexing because Softmaker continues to sell the standard 2024 to NEW users!
lgsl

Post by lgsl »

I suspect they plan to eventually ditch the Standard version. Most of their new features suggest that they want to move to a subscription-only model. The ChatGPT and DeepL features (that as far I am aware of no one asked for such features, and those requested by users, like a grammar checker and/or LaguangeTool integration, where not included) are only available for subscribers. Also their marketing campaigns have, in the recent past, suggested users to switch to the subscription model too.
ckit

Post by ckit »

Ashampoo Office is SoftMaker Office Standard just rebranded.
Ashampoo hasn't got 2024 version yet but it shouldn't be far off...
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

SoftMaker Office Standard being the slowest selling version of SoftMaker Office, it is kind of surprising to see so many people requesting an upgrade path from Office Standard 2021 to Office Standard 2024.

Good news, we have reconsidered this decision and now offer such an upgrade:

https://www.softmaker.com/en/products/s ... fice/order
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
ChalkyW64

Post by ChalkyW64 »

Good news indeed - upgrade purchased! :thumbsup:
Last edited by ChalkyW64 on Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl45

Post by Karl45 »

Good news, we have reconsidered this decision and now offer such an upgrade
Good news, indeed. Thanks to all who "complained" and thanks to SoftMaker for reconsidering.

Return to “SoftMaker Office NX and 2024 for Windows (General)”