Not a Bug: Printing an envelope results in endless printings

cleetus

Not a Bug: Printing an envelope results in endless printings

Post by cleetus »

TextMaker NX Universal - Beta (rev S1108.0416) 64bit
on Linux leo 5.10.0-21-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.162-1 (2023-01-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux

When I print using Mailings -> Envelope the printer continues to print until I turn it off. This does not happen with letter sized paper and an ordinary letter.

The expected behavior is that it should print only one envelope and not keep printing the same envelope over and over again.
If I turn the printer off and then back on, then I can insert a new blank envelope without it immediately printing.
cleetus

Re: Not a Bug: Printing an envelope results in endless printings

Post by cleetus »

I carefully tested this and this seems to be a bug in either CUPS or probably my Xerox 6022 Phaser laser printer.
The Solution: after the printing of the envelopes, and the tray is empty, press the orange "Cancel" button on top of the printer.

I am not sure but I think the paper size has to be set to "envelope std" instead of "letter" on the printer itself. Since this is done by scrolling through a tiny LCD display it is just easier to press the cancel button.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

Just a wild guess: Are you using Print merge to print the envelope? That would be wrong, you have to use the regular print function (or "Print envelope" inside the Envelope dialog box).
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
cleetus

Post by cleetus »

Hi Martin:
Yes I am using the regular print function. It's this one:
Screenshot_2023-04-25_05-49-21.png
The reason I am sure it's a printer problem is I used Mailings -> Envelope but left one letter sized paper in the tray. It printed one "envelope" on the letter sized paper and stopped. It worked as it should. So it appears to be the printer is looking for a 11 inch long piece of paper and is instead being fed a 9.5 inch long envelope. That is just a guess on my part. I also think part of the problem is that my Linux distribution, Devuan, has a printer configuration tool that won't allow me to use the supplied *ppd that came with my printer. This tool insists on configuring the printer. Normally, I configure the printer through cups using https://localhost:631. The printer setup tool overrides my CUPS configuration and instantiates its own version. That version idoes not use a *.ppd file.
In any event this is a trivial work around: press the orange button to cancel the job.

I still have to learn how to use Mail Merge. Give me a few days and I will test that.
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by raitis.veksejs »

Another guess is if you filtered which records of the database should be printed.
If there remain selected all records and these can be even empty ones printing may continue "endless", especially, when there are a lot of records.

I tested envelope printing with the Beta version of SoftMaker Office rev. 1109, I can't reproduce the problem.
cleetus

Post by cleetus »

>>> I tested envelope printing with the Beta version of SoftMaker Office rev. 1109, I can't reproduce the problem

Thank you Raitis: That confirms to me that it is a printing issue and not a Softmaker problem.

Return to “BETA TextMaker 2024 for Linux”