table grid lines display

dlezo@hotmail.com

table grid lines display

Post by dlezo@hotmail.com »

I created a 6X 4 table. I was resizing the table by selecting individual lines from the column or row.
1) I think it's better if there was a representation for the columns and rows in the gridlines of the table's individual X and Y axis' for example so that I could re-size the length or width of the table by using the gridline representation(much easier) instead of only carefully selecting the line within the table to re-size it.
2) Why does the entire gridline go away when selecting an area within a table? The gridline changes and only shows the size of the column and row?
3) If you want to keep 2), then when selecting the line representing the row or column you want to resize, make the red line go ALL the way to the gridline, especially the red line when it pertains to changing the size of the row.
Devonboy78

Re: table grid lines display

Post by Devonboy78 »

If you select a column then click on the Ribbon tab 'Table' [it automatically appears when you put the cursor anywhere in the table] then you can go to cell width and accurately enter whatever size you need the column to be rather than selecting a line and dragging.
Similarly you can accurately resize row heights by selecting the rows you want to alter and typing in the required height.
If you have opened the Ribbon tab ''Table' and select a line and drag it, the cell dimension doesn't alter until you release the cursor. I sometimes drag a line to approximately the width I want a column to be / height I want the row to be and then fine-tune by entering size in the cell properties.

I don't understand what you mean by 'the entire gridline going away' when you select an area within a table. I wonder if you mean the Ribbon tab 'Table' commands disappear when you select an area. This usually seems to happen if one leaves the table to do some work outside the table then returns to select an area.
As soon as you position the cursor within the table and select an area the Ribbon tab 'Table' will Appear. Once you've made your selection then click on the Ribbon tab 'Table' and the table commands will open for you.

Hope this helps
dlezo@hotmail.com

I'm sorry about the wording I used. I meant to say ruler instead of gridlines. My bad. If you have an open document and you type something, you see both rulers in their entirety on the X and Y axis. If you create and insert a table and then click within a cell of the table, both rulers disappear and only the rulers displaying the length and width of the cell you clicked on or the line representing the cell, is displayed. When working with tables, it is important for both rulers be displayed and a representation of the lines making up the rows and cells be represented in the ruler in some manner (take a look at how Word does it).
In terms of inputting values for the cell's width and length, although that is a more accurate way, the problem is that it is so much easier visually to drag the lines of the table and resize them to whatever looks good for you. This would only take 1 step. If we had to input values until we found the right value for our cell, that could take numerous attempts to find the right one.
Devonboy78

Post by Devonboy78 »

dlezo@hotmail.com wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:14 pm I'm sorry about the wording I used. I meant to say ruler instead of gridlines. My bad. If you have an open document and you type something, you see both rulers in their entirety on the X and Y axis. If you create and insert a table and then click within a cell of the table, both rulers disappear and only the rulers displaying the length and width of the cell you clicked on or the line representing the cell, is displayed. When working with tables, it is important for both rulers be displayed and a representation of the lines making up the rows and cells be represented in the ruler in some manner (take a look at how Word does it).
Thanks for clarifying that. I don't use Word so don't know how it displays rulers when in a table, but other word processers seem to leave the rulers visible without any problem and if a document in saved in docx format then another can open open it. I'm only saying that because I don't think Textmaker2024 NX is defaulting to Word settings in order to be compatible. It is certainly visually easier to drag lines to visual points along a fully displayed ruler, so perhaps it should be something that developers should consider.
dlezo@hotmail.com

I hope the moderators look at this post instead of passing it up because I mis-wrote the title!
Many users including myself use tables and we have to modify them to fit our needs.
Devonboy78

Post by Devonboy78 »

dlezo
I've now posted this under heading Table Ruler display so hopefully it might get picked up!!
https://forum.softmaker.com/viewtopic.php?f=438&t=23285
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Devonboy78 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:04 am
Thanks for clarifying that. I don't use Word so don't know how it displays rulers when in a table, but other word processers seem to leave the rulers visible without any problem and if a document in saved in docx format then another can open open it. I'm only saying that because I don't think Textmaker2024 NX is defaulting to Word settings in order to be compatible. It is certainly visually easier to drag lines to visual points along a fully displayed ruler, so perhaps it should be something that developers should consider.
Word leaves the full vertical and horizontal rules visible, even when editing within one cell of a table. So does LibreOffice Writer.

I haven't had any occasion to use tables in TextMaker but I just opened a blank document and created a sample table. I can only suppose that the thinking behind isolating the selected table and displaying the ruler only for that cell is supposed to provide better control over the formatting within the cell. I guess I could get accustomed to it, but I would prefer to see tables work the same way they do in Word and LibreOffice Writer -- keep the full ruler visible even when working within cells in a table.

Return to “BETA TextMaker 2024 for Windows”