Default font size

HumboldtSteve

Default font size

Post by HumboldtSteve »

The "normal" style in TextMaker has always defaulted to Times 10, but the standard for manuscripts is Times 12. I know it can be changed, but why not correct it with this new edition.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Default font size

Post by martin-k »

Many years ago, we had 12pt and people complained that they wanted 10pt.

Can't please everyone, but it is easy enough for the user to change.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
el48tel

Post by el48tel »

I agree that you can't please all.
However, non Serif fonts are easier to read than serifs.
Educationalists agree that Comic Sans is amongst the easiest to read.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

el48tel wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:34 am Educationalists agree that Comic Sans is amongst the easiest to read.
Maybe for grade school kids. For any serious purpose, Comic Sans is a bad joke.
el48tel

Post by el48tel »

Jossi wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:19 pm
el48tel wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:34 am Educationalists agree that Comic Sans is amongst the easiest to read.
Maybe for grade school kids. For any serious purpose, Comic Sans is a bad joke.
We will have to agree to disagree on this.
I'm speaking as a professional educator and with some experience of publishing. I might not like the font myself, but have to take my experience of working with disadvantaged readers and that of my professional colleagues.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

No need to disagree. As I wrote, for children or disavantaged readers Comic Sans will be fine, probably because of its similarity to childlike handwritten letters. When I wrote "serious purpose", I didn't have this target group in mind.
el48tel

Post by el48tel »

It's all about word "shape". Not every font gives that. Serif fonts allow confusion between words because the serif flows into adjoining letters. Some non serif fonts are square shaped. These allow confusion too. Comic sans is rounded and has unique letter shape. Reading is about shape and pattern ... not just letters .... not just words ... but phrases and larger units. You don't read letter by letter. Space between adjoining letters ... left to right .... and above and below the words is also important. The white space adds to readability. Not all fonts allow this even when leading and kerning are adjusted.
Devonboy78

Post by Devonboy78 »

Re default font size, and taking into consideration the hundreds of fonts world wide, it is so simple to set up your own templates with the default font and size you want for various types of documents. No software manufacturer can be expected to provide a universal default style/size acceptable to all, but base it on what previous user experiences have suggested.

Return to “BETA TextMaker 2024 for Windows”