emailed Softmaker yesterday, got the DL link today!

Help for TextMaker 2006 for Handheld PCs

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

Reel Jemm

emailed Softmaker yesterday, got the DL link today!

Post by Reel Jemm » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:49 pm

That's right! Got the DL link <8 hours! Pretty impressive. So Martin, I understand from another thread that Office 2008 will be made available for the WCE platform. Do you have a 'what's new' document we can refer to see what changes/improvements/enhancements the new version offers. Thanks for your help and thank for a job well done!
Uncle Ben

martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: emailed Softmaker yesterday, got the DL link today!

Post by martin-k » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:06 pm

We are moments away from releasing the public beta of SoftMaker Office 2008 for Windows CE.

The good news: It comes with all the new features that the Pocket PC version has (SoftMaker Presentations, PDF export, improved filters etc. ... you can read about it on the Pocket PC pages).

The bad news: This is the first version which is not going to support 640*240 pixels screens anymore. We have to face the reality that the Handheld PC market has been dead for six or seven years.

What the new version will be targeted at are:

- Windows CE devices with 640*480 pixels or higher (examples: Fourier Nova 5000, Psion Netbook Pro; plus I know of a couple of not-yet-announced devices)

- Windows CE devices with 240*320 pixels (PDA-type screens). Typical devices are all those portable data-entry devices, such as the Motorola MC 3000 and the ones from Symbol and Falcon.

Technically, the second version runs on 640*240 pixels devices if they have 64 MBytes of RAM. But I am not sure you will like the experience: All dialog boxes will use only half of the width of the screen but need scrolling to show all elements of the dialog. Try the beta when it's there to see whether that is acceptable.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Reel Jemm

Re: emailed Softmaker yesterday, got the DL link today!

Post by Reel Jemm » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:17 pm

Thank you for the prompt response. Yes, I realize that the Handheld PC platform has been dead for years ... in fact, I'm surprised that you guys supported it for that long. I sure can't blame you for the direction you're taking now. My NEC MobilePro will eventually die on me but until then, I'll stick with Office 2006. Take care.
Uncle Ben

Return to “TextMaker 2006 for Handheld PCs”