Dropping Characters

Help for TextMaker 2006 for Handheld PCs

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

mcarter

Dropping Characters

Post by mcarter » Sat May 12, 2007 12:14 pm

I have noted that TextMaker drops a lot of characters when I'm typing. This happens a little even in an empty document but is very noticeable with large documents, particularly if there any embedded graphics and when I'm using tracking. At times, I need to type each character and wait to see if it has been registered - really painful. I'm running TextMaker from a memory card on a MobilePro 900c. I don't have a lot in my internal memory but would clearing some programs help at all?

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Mon May 14, 2007 11:20 am

Sometimes it helps to turn off the spell checker. Additionally, try to zoom in to the document (eg 150% instead of 50% zoom). This way TextMaker doesn't have to reformat large areas of the page each time a key was pressed.
Did this work for you?
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

mcarter

Post by mcarter » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:34 pm

Tobias-L wrote:Sometimes it helps to turn off the spell checker. Additionally, try to zoom in to the document (eg 150% instead of 50% zoom). This way TextMaker doesn't have to reformat large areas of the page each time a key was pressed.
Did this work for you?
Thanks for the ideas. I already had the spell checker off. I think the zoom helped a bit and I found that using place holders instead of displaying pictures helps a bit too. Also tried installing TextMaker internally instead of on my CF card and that might have helped a little - hard to telll. However, I still get substantial slowdowns and missed characters when typing with documents with graphics that are around 400k in size, particularly when tracking is on.

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:35 am

A 400K image needs to be decompressed to be able to display it. A 400K image can take up to several megabytes of data. On some devices this can be an issue as memory is low or fragmented a lot.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

mcarter

Post by mcarter » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:16 am

Tobias-L wrote:A 400K image needs to be decompressed to be able to display it. A 400K image can take up to several megabytes of data. On some devices this can be an issue as memory is low or fragmented a lot.
Sorry - I meant that the total file size was 400k.

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:16 pm

The only thing which may speed up working, too, is closing all other applications running in the background. Especially large applications running in the background may consume a lot of CPU power, although you don't need them at the moment.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

alephlex

Post by alephlex » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:11 am

Hello,

I am asking for an update on whether a fix has been found for this bug. I have similar problems using the text maker on a mobilepro 900c together with slow keyboard response. It is so slow that I find the textmaker almost unuseable. I really like the programme otherwise.

Is the development team looking into this? And is there any date for a fix release for this?

Thanks

Tobias-L

Post by Tobias-L » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:15 am

The developers always try to speed up working with our software. As soon as they found a way to improve the handling, we will release a service pack so everybody can use the improved speed.
Tobias Leißner
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “TextMaker 2006 for Handheld PCs”