filter cells based on adjacent cell values.

Help for PlanMaker 2006 for Linux and FreeBSD

Moderator: SoftMaker Team

diaeresis

filter cells based on adjacent cell values.

Post by diaeresis » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:36 pm

I hope this is in the right place, if not, my apologies and mods, please move it!

I have a large set of data values (approx 9000) in planmaker. I wish to filter these values so that only the relative high and low values are shown.
The data is wind speed recording over time. I wish to hide or remove intermediate readings. ie as the wind speed increases from 3 m/s to 12 m/s over 10 mins I will get 10 readings with a high of 12 and a low of 3. I only wish to see the 3 and the 12, the intermediate readings are extraneous.
I tried a simple filter like this but it wasn't appreciated by planmaker
=IF(C9>C8 AND C9>C10 OR C9<C8 AND C9 <C10,keep,delete)

The hope was that I could then manually delete readings with delete marked next to them.

I have obviously not really understood the functions I am trying to use but if there is a way of doing what I require could anyone enlighten me.
Many thanks.

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: filter cells based on adjacent cell values.

Post by jimjutte » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:43 am

Are you looking to get ONLY the max and min figures in a given time interval? Or ALL of the max and mins for all time intervals?

Can you upload a sample file? I will play with it to see what I can come up with. Depending on what you need, I think it is possible in the 2010 beta.
Cheers
Jim

diaeresis

Post by diaeresis » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:07 pm

Hi, here is the file. I tried to grab a smaller sample but ran into a strange planmaker versus excel issue. Planmaker didn't plot the chart properly as it didn't like the date/time format for the x values. So I have attached the original excel file containing the excel generated chart.
When this is shown as a line chart you get lot of highs and lows with many points connecting them. ie. between any high and the following low there are several other data readings shown on the chart. Want I want to do is only show the highs and lows not all the intermediate points on the chart and delete the relevant data. This should reduce my data by a huge amount while still showing every high and low against time.
ie between 1,1 and 10,10 there are 2,2 3,3 4,4 5,5 6,6 7,7 8,8 9,9. all those points could be removed and the chart still shows 1,1 and 10,10 which are the important samples.
Sorry if I am not making complete sense. it is getting late over here and i have a stinking head cold. :cry:
Attachments
Book1.xls
(927.5 KiB) Downloaded 302 times

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:07 am

I'm just running into a bit of a time crunch. Last week of classes and then I start a two week practicum... however, I will try to get at this on Friday or Saturday night. I hope that's okay for time.
Cheers
Jim

sven-l
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by sven-l » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:11 am

Hello,

attached you will find your file with 2 proposals for solution from our developers. I hope that helps you a bit.
Attachments
Book1.xls
(988.5 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Sven Leßmann
SoftMaker Software GmbH

jimjutte
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by jimjutte » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:00 pm

If Sven's solution doesn't work for you, I'll give the file a look on the weekend. Let us know.
Cheers
Jim

diaeresis

Post by diaeresis » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:58 pm

Oooh YOU GUYS! Here I am with my cold, headache, cough, foul green slime trickling from my nasal passages and you go and make me feel all warm and fuzzy and lovely!
Pass on my thanks to your developers Sven and thanks for your offer of help Jim.
Cheers for solving this for me. And get 2010 out for Linux. I want to throw some money at you.

Return to “PlanMaker 2006 for Linux and FreeBSD”